Anyone have opinions on the EDGE Acoustics GX400?
Dec 1, 2008 at 8:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

N4V

New Head-Fier
Was looking at this set for a gaming headphone, but I'm wondering, would I notice the difference between using these, or spending like half of the price on a separate microphone plus ER6is or something?

Dec 26, 2008 at 6:51 PM Post #2 of 11
I was curious about the same thing. It's hard not to be a bit paranoid considering there have only been eight reviews on Amazon over the last year, and at least three of those are from patrons of the same gaming clan website, where coincidentally, E.D.G.E's Rich Heimlich (who's also a member of this site) led (maybe still leads) the GRAW2 division.

Paranoia aside, the GX400's seem to be ER4P's with longer cords and a microphone. At ten bucks more than the 4P's, you can't go but so wrong.

I have a set of Sony MDRF1's and Sennheiser HD580's. I'd just use those, but I simply can't wear headphones for an extended period of time. In both cases, an hour or so of gaming or half hour of music, and I'm tugging on the cups without even realizing it. At the same time, I can listen to a thirty dollar set of Sony earphones all day without even realizing they're on. So, I think I'm going to give them a shot. Worst that can happen is they turn into another gadget forgotten in the junk drawer.

Oct 22, 2009 at 12:56 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm in the same boat. I'm very interested but so many posts about them have been by E.D.G.E. staff & no one else has anything to say apart from to complain about IEMs.

I'd be very interested in your finds if you get them as I can't decide between these or Ultrasone HFI-780s & I'm not getting many responses (or suggestions of other options) to the thread I posted.

As a side point (but possibly linked), I compared my Westone 3s to my AKG K701s as a "surround sound" test (unamped, no processors, just a holophonic demo) and I felt the IEMs gave a, shall we say "clearer" (i.e. easier to track) sound due to the closer & in some ways more defined (I suppose due to being smaller?) soundstage...

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #5 of 11
No, Ety E4P (from what I've read) but with a slightly longer cable & a mic.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #7 of 11
I have a set of SE530PTHs that I've been meaning to get rid of for ages (I kept delaying). Anyway, I've just posted them up for trade so I can get the GX400s & compare them for everyone (call me a martyr...
tongue_smile.gif
).

It will probably take a while, but if all works out I'll post my finds so no one else will have to "waste" any money... I totally agree that for the asking price you need to be sure first, but as my Shure's were (kind of) forgotten, it'll be like getting them for free.
atsmile.gif

Plus, I'm getting a Dolby Headphone setup for gaming so I can also test them on that.

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:37 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by XizorGetspeed /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what do you mean by dolby headphone setup?

I have my home setup (see my sig) for music, but I'm working on a separate DH setup running XBOX 360 (digital out) > JVC/Victor SU-DH1 > headphones for gaming use only, hence my interest in this thread as I can't decide which headphones to go for (GX400s vs Ultrasone HFI-780s vs any other options that may come up)...

Oct 25, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #10 of 11
I'll tell you what I'd do. Buy a pair of Etymotic Hf2s ($120), and an iPhone headset -> PC adaptor ($10).

Probably slightly inferior to the ER4's sound, but you save maybe $30-40 and you can also use them with an iPhone/other 4-pin compatible phone if you have one.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to spend that much, perhaps the NuForce NE-7Ms ($50) with the same adaptor?

I'm only suggesting iPhone headsets because they're the only IEM + Mic earphones that I've encountered...

Oct 25, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll tell you what I'd do. Buy a pair of Etymotic Hf2s ($120), and an iPhone headset -> PC adaptor ($10).

Probably slightly inferior to the ER4's sound, but you save maybe $30-40 and you can also use them with an iPhone/other 4-pin compatible phone if you have one.

Alternatively, if you didn't want to spend that much, perhaps the NuForce NE-7Ms ($50) with the same adaptor?

I'm only suggesting iPhone headsets because they're the only IEM + Mic earphones that I've encountered...

Certainly a cheaper option but I think the reason the GX400s were suggested was because Ety have them as "gaming" IEMs under the E.D.G.E. Acoustics company & make a bit of a hoo-ha about them. Thinking about that though, they do have a next model down as a cheaper option as well...?

I'm anti anything to do with Apple and the dreaded iPoo; just my personal (yet off topic) aversion to "dumbed down technology"... & I don't need a mic anyway.

Surprisingly, I've had a few PMs about ER4Ps already (which are the GX400s with a shorter cable and no mic) so I may get to try them out even sooner...
icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back