Anyone have Grados for Portable USE?
Jul 30, 2007 at 10:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

judas391

500+ Head-Fier
Let's hear it, am I the only one weird enough (or poor enough to not want to buy iems
tongue.gif
) who uses Grados for portable use?
I use mine on the bus, skytrain, car and whenever I'm just walking around.
Sure I get stares on the bus because of the sound leakage or maybe the retro look
eggosmile.gif
, but I don't care what they think anyway.
Anyone else in a situation similar to mine?

What do you do about the really thick cord?

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #2 of 22
I saw a guy in Santa Monica with SR325s and the cord pushed down the back of his shirt (but I have no idea where it went from there), so at least you're not the only one. :)

Jul 30, 2007 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 22
I use my MS-1(with the pretty yeller pads!)with an old Discman that i normally carry in a cargo pocket with the extra cable just coiled and stuffed in there with it!

I tried it a couple of times with various mp3 players, but keep going back to the PCDP.

I also used my KSC75 a few times before the wife stole them for her iPod, but I felt more comfortable with the full size cans!(go figure!) Maybe being an old dude has something to do with it, but it's just a lot of fun with the yellow pads!
icon10.gif

Now that the bowls have settled-in a bit, even the MS2i are stable enough to wander around with. I don't have an adapter to plug the 1/4" into a portable, but I suspect if the weather were nice that I'd venture out with the MS2i also!

....oh; I did sneak outside with my HD600 one afternoon to go to the mailbox, but it was a windy day and I was afraid of dust, so I put them back in the house.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #5 of 22
I used to wear my 80s in the bus, and the sound leakage definitely did not go unnoticed, plus it didn't feel right carrying them around with me. I use my KSC-35s now for portable use - perfect!

Jul 30, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #6 of 22
I like the idea of Grado's for portable use.

the way I yank on cords I can use the thicker cable and if you intend to use them full time as portables you can always cut off some of the length and re-terminate them.

as far as sound leakage I like to be able to hear what's going on around me and to heck with others, it's not like you are toting around a loud boom box.

Jul 31, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #10 of 22
haha, oh my god.. how's the igrado sound signature compared to the rest of the line? i might consider picking one up

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #12 of 22
Carried my MS-1s to work before I got my Atrio M5. It was kind of annoying having to pack it in the bag, and I wouldn't dare put it on in the subway or the bus--too much sound leaking in and out for me to enjoy.

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 22
so what would be something good and portable, preferably under $50 with a treble heavy sound signature? I don't like anything that sounds muffled or bassy, my only wish with the 80s is that they have sharper highs
redface.gif

Jul 31, 2007 at 2:40 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A bit darker, more bass, not as much sound stage, but still very detailed. More open and airy when modded.

x2 IMO, they sound quite good and are comfortable.

Jul 31, 2007 at 3:41 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by judas391 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so what would be something good and portable, preferably under $50 with a treble heavy sound signature? I don't like anything that sounds muffled or bassy, my only wish with the 80s is that they have sharper highs
redface.gif

KSC-75s if you don't mind clip ons. PortaPros if you can tolerate slightly boomy bass and need a headband. Maybe some IEMs like the Marshmallows...those (IMO) are trebly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back