Anyone have experience pairing Heart Mirrors with FiiO BTR3K?
Jul 17, 2022 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Audio fledgling

New Head-Fier
Hi, wasn't expecting to post another question so soon, but when iOS 16 drops, it'll push me into a phone upgrade, that will cause me to lose my headphone jack.

Thinking about picking up the FiiO BTR3K because it should let me keep the new phone tucked away in a lifeproof case, and still use my IEMs. I've got a couple now, but spend most my time with the Heart Mirrors. Would those two pair well together? Also, are there other amp/DAC options I should be considering it a similar price point?

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2022 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks, taking your suggestion seriously, went down a bit of a rabbit hole comparing the BTR5 to the BTR3k.

Genuinely curious, what advantage will the power jump between the two have for the Heart Mirrors? Everybody says they like power, but on paper there pretty undemanding. Or is it more about the better chips in the 5?

I know from experience, they sound better plugged into my Andrea USB external soundcard, on my laptop than they do coming straight out of my iPhone 6s Plus. (but I had chocked that more up to digital-to-analog conversion then to the added juice). Also, on the external soundcard, I literally have to leave them at volume level I otherwise their deafening.
Also, if I have pretty basic quality audio, a bunch of stuff purchase from iTunes, and off CDs I own and spottify on high quality, not extra high quality, will I hear a difference between the two dacs.

The comparison on Hi-Fi Go was super interesting, and the guy there said he could definitely hear and improvement with the 5, but that it was was really only pronounced on Amazon music HD.

Thoughts? The BTR5 is certainly well-regarded, but is also 80% more, not opposed to that from an investment over time perspective, but I do want to make sure I'm going to hear those extra 55 bucks if I'm going to spend them.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2022 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 8
I'm not that good with words. I have listened to Heartmirror using Apple dongle, Shanling Q1 and Hipdac. It sounded best with Hipdac with the bass-boost on. The bass sounded deeper, the treble more clearer etc. I think more power plays an important role here than the dac thing. I also dont think I'd be able distinguish between the dac chips in blind test, it's the power that's making the difference.

Jul 23, 2022 at 2:42 PM Post #5 of 8
I'm not that good with words. I have listened to Heartmirror using Apple dongle, Shanling Q1 and Hipdac. It sounded best with Hipdac with the bass-boost on. The bass sounded deeper, the treble more clearer etc. I think more power plays an important role here than the dac thing. I also dont think I'd be able distinguish between the dac chips in blind test, it's the power that's making the difference.
Thanks again, based on your comments, and some more digging they prompted on my end, I'll probably go with the BTR5.

Kind of makes me wish I had the Titan S, because I could probably get away with the 3K in that case, but given that I've got the Heart Mirrors instead, I think the 5 is probably a better fit.

One more newbie question if you don't mind. How easy is it to listen to IEMs softly on a source with more juice like that?

I find that I often put an audiobook, or some Native American flute on at rather low volume when I'm trying to get to sleep.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2022 at 7:32 PM Post #6 of 8
Thanks again, based on your comments, and some more digging they prompted on my end, I'll probably go with the BTR5.

Kind of makes me wish I had the Titan S, because I could probably get away with the 3K in that case, but given that I've got the Heart Mirrors instead, I think the 5 is probably a better fit.

One more newbie question if you don't mind. How easy is it to listen to IEMs softly on a source with more juice like that?

I find that I often put an audiobook, or some Native American flute on at rather low volume when I'm trying to get to sleep.

It'll sound good at low volume. If you feel like you need more mids/low/high you can eq it anyway through wavelet of Fiio App.

For low volume listening, FiiO FH3 is an excellent IEM. Whereas some IEMs sound muted on low or high frequencies, the FH3 sounds dynamic. But its not an IEM I'd use for listening to Audiobooks as the mids occasionally sounds cuppy.

Jul 29, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #7 of 8
Hi, ultimately decided to go with the Qudelix 5K it offers the same power output as the BTR5, but it seems to have a longer battery life, and nobody's mentioned that Bluetooth range bug on the Qudelix 5K, that some people seem to get with the BTR5. I haven't ordered yet, going to hold off until just before I get the new phone. Probably going to have way more of an EQ than I know what to do with, but I'll learn.

Jul 30, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #8 of 8
Hi, ultimately decided to go with the Qudelix 5K it offers the same power output as the BTR5, but it seems to have a longer battery life, and nobody's mentioned that Bluetooth range bug on the Qudelix 5K, that some people seem to get with the BTR5. I haven't ordered yet, going to hold off until just before I get the new phone. Probably going to have way more of an EQ than I know what to do with, but I'll learn.
Great buy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back