Anyone have experiance with the Audio Technica ATH-D40fs?
May 11, 2005 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

fetus

Head-Fier
Does anyone have an impression on the Audio Technica ATH-D40fs? I can pick them up for about $70 USD at a local insturment shop. I am no audiophile nore have I ever had a good pair of cans so I really wouldnt know what I am missing. Besides I already have tinnitus and have lost a rather large lot of high end hearing (or so I assume).

I would mainly be using them for listening to my Rio Karma on the go (I do not care about portability seeing my current cans are about just as large, the Sony MDR-605, which are open and unfit for my need to have ambient sound blocked out). I am also on a limited budget as seeing I might be picking up a pair of senn HD595's for vinyl listening pleasure.

edit: the extened bass of the phones do not bother me for I would mostly be listening to electronic, 60's and indy rock.

May 11, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #2 of 3
never heard it but it seem to not be built for music listening purpose. the peolpe who heard it agree its kinda bassy and miuddle in the mids.

i heard the m30 though, it has a light bass, but good with the midrange and acoustic music. pretty comfortable.

May 11, 2005 at 4:29 AM Post #3 of 3
Never heard it first hand... I know the drivers are field replaceable. no soldering is needed, just a screwdriver.

**edit**
The drivers are actually ~30 ohm coils. They have a ~33 ohm resistor in line to bring the total impedence up to around 65 ohms. The resistor also attenuates the upper mids and highs. You could easily add a small switch to toggle in/out that resistor and tune the sound.

Garrett

Users who are viewing this thread

Back