Anyone have any experience with the LM384N chip? Worth toying with?
Sep 30, 2012 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ZebS

New Head-Fier
I've pulled ~30 LM384N chips out of a dumpster. They're rigged with intercom cans from a store speaker system, and each happily mounted in a small amp circuit. Anyone ever use them? Are they worth poking around with? I'm tempted to toss two into a mini amp, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth the time. Pics to come, if interested.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #2 of 4
These are great little amplifiers within their limitations.

The problem is, they're not really hi-fi. Solid-state amplifiers are expected to have distortion way down <0.001% nowadays, particularly for headphone use, where the power is often no more than a milliwatt. At these power levels you're better off with a high-current opamp, which can have ultra-low distortion. This is not to say that you'll necessarily notice the distortion, it's just that you can get so much better chip amps if that's what you want.

So they're often found in intercoms, cheaper powered computer speakers and suchlike. You can get 10 watts using 2, bridged, which is quite a respectable output for a guitar practice amp, but the sound is a bit flat and lifeless without a lot of tone generating and shaping circuitry in front, and of course you need ~25V, which is not that easily come by, although a wallwart may come close.

I have a few lying around, but I don't expect them to get used for anything, I just don't like to chuck them out. You never know...

w

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I've pulled ~30 LM384N chips out of a dumpster. They're rigged with intercom cans from a store speaker system, and each happily mounted in a small amp circuit. Anyone ever use them? Are they worth poking around with? I'm tempted to toss two into a mini amp, but I'm not quite sure if it's worth the time. Pics to come, if interested.

Google "headbanger amplifier".  It is an easy to build portable amp and the designer has added a few passive components to reduce distortion.  It's good to build for practice before tackling a good quality DIY amp.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM Post #4 of 4
the 'Headbanger' uses an LM386, not a 384

Users who are viewing this thread

Back