Anyone have any 24bit/192kHz content?
Mar 1, 2007 at 3:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Whitebread

1000+ Head-Fier
Does anyone here actually have any content recorded at 24bits with a 192kHz sampling frequency? I'm curious and I'd like to see exactly how much better a recording at this level is.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #2 of 15
I don't think that's common at all. You can find lots of stuff at 24/96 however.

What you could do is to convert some of your usual 16/44 stuff at, say, 14/36... see if that makes a lot of difference to you. If it doesn't, chances are that ultra-high resolution and crazy sampling rates won't do much for you.

The bottlenecks aren't there IMO but check it for yourself... that's the spirit! :wink:

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think that's common at all. You can find lots of stuff at 24/96 however.

What you could do is to convert some of your usual 16/44 stuff at, say, 14/36... see if that makes a lot of difference to you. If it doesn't, chances are that ultra-high resolution and crazy sampling rates won't do much for you.

The bottlenecks aren't there IMO but check it for yourself... that's the spirit! :wink:

I'll give that a try.

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by roadtonowhere08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only one I regularly listen to is the Close Encounters soundtrack on HDAD. Sounds great to me.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/brow...Title_ID=14254

Is that DVD encoded in MLP, or just high deff wav files? I'm interested in buying it and ripping it to flac to see what it sounds like.

Edit
biggrin.gif
o you know of any programs that can rip to 24bit/192khz .wav or raw PCM files?

Mar 1, 2007 at 5:00 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitebread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is that DVD encoded in MLP, or just high deff wav files? I'm interested in buying it and ripping it to flac to see what it sounds like.

Edit
biggrin.gif
o you know of any programs that can rip to 24bit/192khz .wav or raw PCM files?

PM sent...

Mar 1, 2007 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 15
How can old recorded stuff be good for HDAD? They weren't originally mastered/produced in 96/24 or 192/24 .. won't that matter?

How Hi-Def/Hi-Fi is original analog two-track, quarter-inch master tapes?

Mar 1, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How can old recorded stuff be good for HDAD? They weren't originally mastered/produced in 96/24 or 192/24 .. won't that matter?

How Hi-Def/Hi-Fi is original analog two-track, quarter-inch master tapes?

Those original tapes have the capability to capture a lot of detail. My fear is that the equipment used is so old that there will be a ton of hiss.

Come to think of it, I used to have a copy of Jon Cultrane's My Favorite Things on CD years ago. I can't remember it ever being full of hiss and distortion. Although, in 5th grade I was not the discerning listener I am now.

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:02 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joshatdot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yes, that's actually the main reason that older recordings are being transferred to high-res formats. There are no such things as bit-depth or sample rate in the analog world, which means that when you transfer something analog to digital, you'll lose very small parts of the signal. The more values you have to work with, the closer you'll get to the original tapes (ex. 24-bit gives more accurate amplitude information than 16 bits).

Currently, albums are often recorded in 24/44.1, 24/48, and sometimes in 24/96, but it's rare to see a digitally-recorded album with 24/192 stereo content.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Here's a link to some of the live shows recorded at 24 bit and available on the archive.org web site. I don't believe that there are any available which are 24/192 but there are plenty of 24/96 recordings available.

By the way, the shows listed on the page below are not all of their 24 bit shows but there are enough there to give you an idea of what a 24 bit recording sounds like. Plus many of the listed shows also have regular 16 bit, 44.1K versions of the same show available so you can quite easily do some A-B tests to see if you hear any difference.

http://tinyurl.com/24z5fs

Mar 1, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #12 of 15
I have a 24/192 version of The Eagles' Hotel California on my Mac. You can definitely tell the difference.

Mar 2, 2007 at 2:08 AM Post #13 of 15
Sinatra at the Sands sounds great at 24/192, but I haven't done any direct comparisons to other versions.

Mar 2, 2007 at 3:19 AM Post #14 of 15
I've got two DVD-A 2-Channel recordings at 24/192:

REM - In Time - The Best of REM: One of the best sounding recordings that I've heard anywhere...big, enourmous soundstage, and crystal clear and clean.

T-Rex - Electric Warrior: It's pretty good, but doesn't compare to the REM.

Mar 2, 2007 at 8:12 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
REM - In Time - The Best of REM: One of the best sounding recordings that I've heard anywhere...big, enourmous soundstage, and crystal clear and clean.

That's great news! I have it, but I never really gave it a chance (not the hugest R.E.M. fan). Gonna have to rip it to the HD and see how it sounds...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back