Anyone have a rockboxed sansa e2xx?
Jan 2, 2008 at 11:31 PM Post #2 of 10
I have four e250, two of them are RockBox'd. I've never tried to really compare the SQ but the features that RockBox offers is enough to make it worth it. Installing RockBox is very simple.

Jan 2, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #3 of 10
I have one, the sound quality is like night and day with the OF and Rockbox. Rockbox is much better, everything is fuller and has more "body". The soundstage is still pretty crappy but hey, it does sound better overall with Rockbox. The extra features are awesome and the music capabilities are the best I've ever seen. I've gotten a few errors using Playlists but other than that it's great.

Jan 3, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #4 of 10
YES. GET IT NOW. Loads of options in adjusting the sound, and loads more on everything else. I really enjoy the games it includes, since my R4 for the DSL was stolen
frown.gif
. I'd recommend chrisjs' build: Compiled Rockbox: chrisjs branch - abi>>forums

Brendan

Jan 3, 2008 at 3:10 PM Post #5 of 10
I picked up one of the e250 refurbs about a month ago and am using Rockbox. Like the others have said, it makes a heck of a difference and I'm also using the build that cyberspyder mentioned.

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #6 of 10
I have a Sansa e260R with Rockbox on it and it works well. Not only does is it quite capable, but there are some great themes out there that make it look really polished. I also think it sounds slightly better, and the audio options is icing on the cake.

I might also recommend the digibuild Branch which focuses on stability and includes more themes. Another build that focuses on stability and included themes is the kugel Branch.

If you need any help with these builds, you will have to use those threads on Anything But iPod. Enjoy!

Jan 4, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 10
In november I bought a e200 for my wife and she found it was difficult to manage her music with the original software.

In december I offered her her e200 rockboxed with the e200 theme and she likes it Alot!!
It's now manageable with the file/tree system structure and it is stable!!

The file handling and the EQ/SQ is what I like from my experience with rockbox. This goes for the ipod as well.(bypassing the itunes and being able to play ogg files)

It does not make the e200 a super player as regard EQ/SQ but it improves it alot.

One feature I found "interesting" on the rockbox e200 was the bass setting EQ. It goes very low , almost to +29db.

regards,

Jan 4, 2008 at 1:21 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by dap_pad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have one, the sound quality is like night and day with the OF and Rockbox. Rockbox is much better, everything is fuller and has more "body". The soundstage is still pretty crappy but hey, it does sound better overall with Rockbox. The extra features are awesome and the music capabilities are the best I've ever seen. I've gotten a few errors using Playlists but other than that it's great.

I would agree about the sound quality mentioned here, but I had errors with installing Rockbox. Every time I installed it I wasn't able to switch back to the stock firmware and had to "reinstall" the stock firmware every time I wanted to put music on it. This lasted about 2 days before I took it back to the store. If these problems had not occurred, I probably would have kept it. I got a great deal on it. Only now, for the same price as a new model e260, you can get a creative zen 4 GB. I haven't read any reviews of this unit (the zen), but if I do and they are promising, I will be buying one for my gf when the tax return comes back. However, one of the features I especially liked about the rockbox was the EQ. Very powerful and yielded excellent results.

Jan 4, 2008 at 4:46 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marzie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would agree about the sound quality mentioned here, but I had errors with installing Rockbox. Every time I installed it I wasn't able to switch back to the stock firmware and had to "reinstall" the stock firmware every time I wanted to put music on it. This lasted about 2 days before I took it back to the store. If these problems had not occurred, I probably would have kept it. I got a great deal on it. Only now, for the same price as a new model e260, you can get a creative zen 4 GB. I haven't read any reviews of this unit (the zen), but if I do and they are promising, I will be buying one for my gf when the tax return comes back. However, one of the features I especially liked about the rockbox was the EQ. Very powerful and yielded excellent results.

You do realize your have to continue pressing the l<< button until the firmware loads right? I didn't know at first, and only pressed it for a second, and the firmware would fail to load.

Brendan

Jan 4, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #10 of 10
Or you could just plug it in when it is off....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back