Anyone have a fear of the dentist?
Feb 26, 2007 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

Cid

100+ Head-Fier
I can't be the only one, can I?
frown.gif
I get absolutely terrified whenever I have to go to the dentist. I cancelled my last two appointments, because -I knew- I had to get work done. The thing I fear the most is the injection, and also the general feeling of someone else's hands in your mouth and not being able to properly swallow your saliva. I keep cancelling appointments, but I know I'm going to have to eventually go when the pain starts.

I wish there was an easier way to get it done, I have to get two teeth removed and 5 fillings, so yeah. It's freaking me out.

So, anyone else have a fear of the dentist? If so, how do you get over it?

Feb 26, 2007 at 10:44 AM Post #2 of 28
Yeah, I hate that not being able to swallow thing. Still, you have to go. I find the best way to do it is to make your appointment nice and early in the morning. That way, you can ensure your teeth are freshly brushed before you leave, and more importantly, you won't spend all day sweating the appointment (although you may not sleep the night before!).

biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 11:28 AM Post #3 of 28
I'm in the process of having a long-overdue dental overhaul: three fillings and two root treatments so far, and had an appointment for having a badly decayed, impacted wisdom tooth removed.

Before, I did have an irrational fear for dental treatment (childhood trauma perhaps) -- and that fear had made me procrastinate, until at last the problem became so bad I had trouble sleeping. But now that I'm mid-way through the treatment, I regretted why I didn't go earlier. It was not bad at all: the discomfort was minimal during fillings and there was no pain to speak of. Root treatment can be less comfortable, but still way better than the throbbing, radiating pain I had to endure during some nights.

The local anaesthesia is just one or two quick pricks, relax and the pricks will be gone in a second.

Feb 26, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 28
Can I ask how old you are? Not flame-baiting, just curious. For the record, I don't have any fear for the dentist. Never had to have any 'work' done either though, by teeth are just fine
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:01 PM Post #6 of 28
dental health is just as important as anything else. If you need to get work done just realize thats its necessary.

That is if you want to have your own teeth when as you age.

If you have an extreme fear I would just take the dentist suggestion I guess. I got laughing gas for my wisdom teeth and it was pretty amazing.

You could go into therapy and do conditioning training. Will help you out a lot. Or you could just get the gas.

Feb 26, 2007 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask how old you are? Not flame-baiting, just curious. For the record, I don't have any fear for the dentist. Never had to have any 'work' done either though, by teeth are just fine
biggrin.gif

Yeah, sure! I'll be 19 this March. (2nd)

Quote:

dental health is just as important as anything else. If you need to get work done just realize thats its necessary.

That is if you want to have your own teeth when as you age.

If you have an extreme fear I would just take the dentist suggestion I guess. I got laughing gas for my wisdom teeth and it was pretty amazing.

You could go into therapy and do conditioning training. Will help you out a lot. Or you could just get the gas.

I'm afraid I went past that point already. I have a top denture for my front 4 teeth, because I never took proper care of my teeth and when I finally decided to do something about it, it was too late. Though, the last thing I want is even less of my own teeth I guess, but you're right it's necessary and I should really just push myself to go.

Feb 26, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #10 of 28
Just like going under the knife in the hospital, or anything that could involve pain, the "norm" is to be freaked out, or not very enjoyable. So having a fear is more or less whats expected, and the people who don't mind it, are the exceptions.

I don't fear it, I just don't like it. One cavity in my life, nothing else has been wrong, and that one cavity still pisses me off, to this day

Feb 26, 2007 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 28
I've always dreaded the sound of that tool they use to clean your tooth before they do any fillings...gosh I hate that sound. Probably the most hated sound in the world to me, the alarm clock is a close second though.

So yeah, I am still nervous when I go to the dentist, but it's one of those necessities that has to get done. :/

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:04 PM Post #13 of 28
I used to have a deep fear of the dentist, but one day, many many years back, I just got over it. I don't know how it happened, it just did. I think alot of it comes down to me having this obsession with straight teeth. The first thing I look at when I see a person is his/her teeth. =T

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:11 PM Post #14 of 28
I fear the drill and that horrible spike thing they claw your teeth with when they examine the possible holes... ouch! I do not get freaked out when im there, but I do postpone the possible needs to visit there because of fear.

Feb 26, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I emailed my dentist and told him of my fears, he suggested I get the laughing gas. (The same stuff they give to women in labour or something.) Think it would be worth giving the laughing gas a shot?

Nitrous oxide, it's the same thing they use in 'ricers'
tongue.gif

Yeah, it's basically an analgesic, painkiller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back