Anyone happy with motherboard audio?
Feb 26, 2022 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

TinearedOne

100+ Head-Fier
So, I moved my Vali 2 into service on the TV and the headphone out on my Hafler preamp was clearly an afterthought, which means I’m listening to the headphone amp on my Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro motherboard. I have been surprisingly pleased with its ability to drive my AKG K612’s. It has me debating whether I need an amp, since I generally listen to my speakers near field in that system. Anyone else find tolerable motherboard audio?

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #2 of 8
OK, the amp is a little "bright" on some harsher recordings, like Norah Jones' first album, which immediately made me turn it down. That said, I can equalize it - and I may experiment - in the utilities for the motherboard.

Feb 26, 2022 at 9:53 PM Post #3 of 8
I have not any problem with the sound provided by the Realtek ALC1220 audio codec on my mobo, the Asrock X570 Taichi. That said, it is doing only the DAC function. The piece of hardware that finally drives my headphones is the SMSL SP200 headphone amplifier.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #4 of 8
I have not any problem with the sound provided by the Realtek ALC1220 audio codec on my mobo, the Asrock X570 Taichi. That said, it is only doing the DAC function. The piece of hardware that finally drives my headphones is the SMSL SP200 headphone amplifier.
I'm not using the DAC function. When I listen through my preamp, it is running through the Schiit Modius - totally different sound, which it should be, given that it cost more than the motherboard. :wink: The only time I listen through the DAC function of my ALC1220 is when I plug directly into the computer headphone jack.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #5 of 8
I've gotten pretty good sound from an Asus z270a with the realtek 1220s and onboard amp. I install the software to get the gain control, then APO equalizer with troubleshooting to use the apo and not the realtek ones, then disable effects in Windows sound and it's not bad. The line out to an amp isn't good though, too much interference from the video card to use 3.5mm to RCA cables.

Feb 26, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 8
I’m not sure exactly what this phenomenon is? I mean often when we change..............we are spellbound by a new sound. It’s not necessarily better but different. Also depending on the combination there can actually be profound musicality to the union of motherboard and “a style” of headphones. Still let time take it’s course.

Though direct computer output is a varying thing, also a lions share has reached (audio) improvements over the years. It’s just that tone accepts responsibility for 80% of likability! Maybe!

So with FR being 80% of the equation (maybe).......it’s the other 20% that can have you start to wonder? Also of course all this is direct contrast to how good your other gear is. Or not necessarily how good it is but how well you as a listener jive with it.

So I think a good part of the phenomenon is instantaneous. You like the new combo which you stubbled across and focus on FR to do just what FR does.

Later on down the road, you will start to want the components that realism through technicalities bring to the table. Black noise free backgrounds, better texture and timbre. Better soundstage and pace, cohesive elements? My biggest issue with on-board audio is it seemed was something about it was bolted on. Meaning the bass was disconnected from the whole, or the treble was not as involving as a real desktop experience?

Obviously such talk isn’t fair. It’s a compromise yet enjoyable? It’s easy to poke fun at on-board audio at times.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2022 at 1:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Well, I confirmed the "brightness" of my computer's DAC by listening to the same tracks through my Vali 2. It's definitely a shortcoming of the unequalized DAC. I'll have to tinker around with the EQ - something I generally try to avoid. Still, it's quite resolving. The Vali 2 just has a better presentation.

Feb 27, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #8 of 8
It's pretty stunning how much better onboard audio has got over the course of the last 20 years, especially on higher-end boards. It's still something that is going to vary heavily board vs board, but I think that if you have a good board you have nothing to lose by trying it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back