Anyone happy with 4g Ipod (photo) + Shure E3?
Jan 9, 2006 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

sjt78

100+ Head-Fier
A local media (cd, dvd, books, etc.) store was have a going out of business sale last week and they had an unopened package of Shure E3's for $108. I picked them up because I have a new 60gb iPod photo arriving any day. I mainly bought the E3's due to their price, but I'm wondering if they are a good match for the 4g iPod soundwise? I haven't opened the package so I can still sell them if that is my decision, but wouldn't mind keeping them if they will sound good. The only other IEM headphone I have and know well are the Sony MDR-EX71 which are only OK. I would like my next IEM's to be a big step up and match the sound characteristics of the 4g iPods which I've since learned sometimes will distort when using the EQ settings, so the IEMs should sound well with the EQ turned off. Thanks and I know this type of post will get a lot of suggestions, but I hope I'll actually get some people who have actually tried the above combination. Thanks.
-Steve

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #2 of 12
from the headphone jack, in my humble opinion, it will sound terrible. i think your best bet is to get a pa2v2 amp, and lineout to the 3c, this should give quite a nice, warm sound.

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:09 PM Post #3 of 12
John,
Are you saying that all headphones connected to the 4g iPod headphone out will sound horrible, or just the Shure E3's? I have a very nice home headphone system that I am satisfied with, so I'm not trying to duplicate that. I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that will sound great right out of the 4g iPod if that is possible. This combo is what I'll be bringing to work and possibly down the line I'll get a small portable amp, but right now that doesn't fit my budget. Thanks for the advice.
-Steve

Jan 9, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
John,
Are you saying that all headphones connected to the 4g iPod headphone out will sound horrible, or just the Shure E3's? I have a very nice home headphone system that I am satisfied with, so I'm not trying to duplicate that. I'm looking for a pair of IEMs that will sound great right out of the 4g iPod if that is possible. This combo is what I'll be bringing to work and possibly down the line I'll get a small portable amp, but right now that doesn't fit my budget. Thanks for the advice.
-Steve

Try the westone um1 if you have limited funds.
If you can spend a little more, um2s or er4ps (depending on your tastes).

Good luck
wink.gif

Jan 9, 2006 at 2:38 PM Post #5 of 12
xtr3me,
Can you tell me how the UM2's and erp4s sounded when you tried them with your 4g iPod? Thanks.
-Steve

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 12
I'm happy with my photo and e3s, but I'm not an audiophile and these are my first "good" headphones. I seem to remember the consensus being that they're not a good match, but they sure are comfy.

Jan 9, 2006 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by sjt78
xtr3me,
Can you tell me how the UM2's and erp4s sounded when you tried them with your 4g iPod? Thanks.
-Steve

er4p's are very defined. They don't have a powerfull bass when compared to super.fi 5 pro but they're very detailed (and with a good seal, the bass is there, but only listen to it, instead of feeling it).

About the um2s I've never tried them, but there are a lot of people saying wonderfull things about them, so I think they must be very good.

Jan 10, 2006 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 12
Anyone else with advice?

Jan 10, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #10 of 12
I own both items. I think the Shures are a nice IEM, (although admittedly, I prefer the sound of full cans to IEMs), and they sound pretty good out of the iPod headphone-out or even amped. However, I don't agree that you need to amp the e3s to get optimal sound from them, especially if you're looking for a "true portable" setup.

Open up that blister pack and give it a go (with foamies!). You'll like them.

Jan 10, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #11 of 12
I have the E3's so I'm going to give them a shot. I can always recoup some of my money if I decide to sell them here in the classifieds. Thanks for the help everyone.
-Steve

Jan 10, 2006 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 12
You got a very good price on good IEMs -- a significant upgrade over the Sony's (and the iPod earbuds). Be happy.
etysmile.gif

No need to agonize and second-guess. I've got the Shures, the iPod earbuds and the Sony's, and you'll be fine. Maybe the Shures and the iPod Photo aren't a perfect match, but then maybe the combination will sound just fine to your ears. Play something you like -- which is what I think really counts -- and don't worry too much about board opinions (this one included!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back