Anyone got their buffer for PPA yet?
Feb 24, 2004 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Karlosak

100+ Head-Fier
Just curious, if anybody got their discrete buffer for PPA from LaRocco yet. I know that there were a lot of people ordering it quite long time ago. But they are still dead quiet.

What's the problem? Is Larry so busy that the buffers still weren't shipped or are you guys tight-lipped about your new toys???
biggrin.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 3:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Nothing in my mailbox yet.

Which considering I'm still building the uber-PPA to put it into, is fine with me. Hopefully it will be here by the weekend, but I haven't received any notification that is has shipped so I kinda doubt it.

Feb 24, 2004 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 8
I got an email from Larry today, apparently they delayed building them because a new version of the board was being made. Mine was shipped today, and I think Larry is hard at work so give him some time and space!

g

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:57 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm waiting for discrete buffers as well. Sounds like Larry is swamped with orders and doing the best he can. I have a PPA being built for me that is within just a couple days of being done but I won't get it until the buffers arrive and are installed before it's shipped to me and that's still some days out. Bah...it's killing me as I have been ampless for some time. I just pray for the possibility Larry suddenly cruises through them more quickly than he thought! I have a small mini meet planned sometime the week of March 8th. Will definitely post impressions of the discrete buffered PPA.

Feb 25, 2004 at 10:09 AM Post #5 of 8
It really seems that there will be a new version of the buffer. I was asking Larry about some info and he sent me some pictures too. I hope that bringing it out into the open won't hurt.

Here is a transcription of my e-mail:

Hi Phil,
I'm just pulling the trigger on your new discrete buffer for my PPA. I would like to know some info before I do so. The most important question is the dimensions of the buffer. I'm little worried about how much does the buffer protrude out of the board. I have got just 26 mm of free space above the board (the case nearly touches the C1 1000uF 35V Panasonic FC caps). There is also a potential problem with space bellow the buffer - especially C2 caps. I'm using 13mm high caps in place of C2, so I hope that's OK.
Another thing that really interests me is power consumption. Is the bias current set for some value or could it be changed? I'm using batteries so that issue really matters.

Hi,
I have not finished the Data sheet for the Buffer yet attached are some photos showing the Buffer installed in A PPA with the battery Board below the Amp board as showen on tangents site the C1 caps showen in the attached picture are 20mm and the board hight is set to clear the red wima caps installed on the PPA C2. I recomend you remove these c2 caps as we now put those on the Buffer board and so the C2 on the PPA Board is not needed. Hope this helps if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask.

Here are the pictures I got from Larry and for comparison pictures from LaRocco site.

front view (bad quality):

discrete-front.jpg

upper view:

discrete-up.jpg

the "old" version that can be seen on LaRocco site (notice the blue caps/trimmers (?) ):

diamond-installed.jpg

diamond-buffer-angular.jpg

Feb 25, 2004 at 2:12 PM Post #6 of 8
yeah the guy will be busy ... give him his space ... this is a new thing he's still pacing his output.... so cut the guy some slack jack ... errr you and your jivin selves ....ehheheh
'

Feb 25, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #7 of 8
OK, OK. I know he must be extremely busy now but at the same time it's very difficult to calm down my impatience and greediness
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 25, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #8 of 8
None of these photos are the most current as three small Bypass caps that replaced C2 in the PPA are now on board. The Bad quality front view was not even intended for Public View, it also was not intended to illustrate the Buffer but rather to show how a variable Bass Boost via the Alps Blue Pot would all fit and if the Power Transistors will clear the top cover with the battery board and Buffer Board installed. This photo was intended for our own internal use and maybe to later be included in the installation manual and surly not for public display at the moment as several photos are taken and the best ones shown
Also please do not post my email in a public forum Larry apparently dose not mind that but I do. I can understand your anticipation; however Rome was not built in a day. We are getting these out as fast as possible and at the moment in a timely fashion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back