Anyone going to NAMM?
Jan 20, 2003 at 7:38 AM Post #16 of 18
ooheadsoo:

i've gone to two NAMM shows -- winter '98 and winter '00. when i went, i was primarily interested in DJ equipment and drums. i hadn't yet been hit with the hi-fi headphone fetish.

best advice -- bring your most comfortable walking shoes, because you're gonna be using 'em HEAVILY. the scale of the trade show is unfathomable. other recommendations:

1) take note of any NAMM exclusive concerts both at booths inside the trade show itself and at any music venues in the area. among others (George Clinton & P-Funk, Dennis Chambers, etc), i was lucky enough to catch Victor Wooten and Steve Bailey playing in an enclosed area about the size of a walk-in closet.there should be some good shows scheduled around NAMM -- some they don't even announce until the day of so try to get the inside info!

2) bring your video camera and/or still camera -- for both equipment and spur-of-the-moment musician encounters. i think Head-Fi'ers would love to see some sneak peeks of equipment yet to be released to the public...not to mention a lovely photo of you and say...Nikki Sixx?
smily_headphones1.gif

3) there are usually cafeteria-like restaurants to eat at inside the show but take some snacks because with all the walking around you'll get tired and hungry. take a refillable water bottle with you as well.

4) check out the free magazine area! TONS of music magazine have their monthly issues free for the taking.

5) bring a backpack or shoulder-bag as well as a pen and paper. don't overload yourself with stuff though, again, lots of walking.

6) look around, play with all the neat toys (that's what they're there for!), ask questions (some vendors will talk your ear off and B.S. you just because their trying to sell you their product...but many are honestly passionate about what they do, and love to talk about it!

above all, have fun! it's an amazing event and you're lucky to have the opportunity to go.

what else do you want to know?

edit: oops, looks like i was too late. hope you had fun!

Jan 30, 2003 at 12:30 AM Post #18 of 18
I have a report thread somewhere out there in the members lounge.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back