Anyone get Frustrated with K1000's-I am thinking of using my K701's most of the time!
Mar 29, 2006 at 5:24 AM Post #16 of 18
I have tried a few different amps with K1000, as well as replacing the detachable part of the cable. But the biggest improvement comes from removing the front pads and letting K1000 get closer to my ears (read here). The makes bass stronger and the overall sound fuller. To my ears, K701 is still a tier below K1000.

Mar 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
The K701s can compare to the K1000s
confused.gif

They're not as revealing as the K1000s but they've got the K1000s beat in other areas(Versatility, Amp requirements, Comfort just to name the 3 biggies that come to mind). This is from an owner of both who doesn't get the new toy infatuation.

Does the 701 throw as big a sound stage? does it image as well? you said it has less detail. Those are sound related.

The 3 positives you gave the 701's have nothing to do with sound - versatility, amp requirements, comfort. I'm all about the sound (even if it hurts
icon10.gif
).

It'll cost more to make the K1000 sound it's best, but it's a world class phone IMHO, so it is expected. Versatility
confused.gif
, comfort - doesn't bother me - I don't need fuzzy slippers on my head.

If you like other things then sound - then maybe the K1000's aren't the best pick.

Mar 29, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #18 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Does the 701 throw as big a sound stage? does it image as well? you said it has less detail. Those are sound related.

The 3 positives you gave the 701's have nothing to do with sound - versatility, amp requirements, comfort. I'm all about the sound (even if it hurts
icon10.gif
).

It'll cost more to make the K1000 sound it's best, but it's a world class phone IMHO, so it is expected. Versatility
confused.gif
, comfort - doesn't bother me - I don't need fuzzy slippers on my head.

If you like other things then sound - then maybe the K1000's aren't the best pick.

If you like other things then the K1000 sound - then maybe the K1000's aren't the best pick.
It's all about the presentation, signature, what a person's ears prefer. I don't feel the K1000s "knock" out the K701s in the sound department. Yes, certain times I feel the K701s can't touch the K1000s[anything violin, the soundstage, K1000 magic] but K701s start to shine when you consider that they perform well at everything.

Versatility: K701s sound great with pretty much everything, can't say the same for K1000s. It's almost wow or ehhhh... with the K1000s.
Amp requirements: This is closely tied in with the inherient cost of the K701s vs K1000s. If cans came out tomorrow that had the performance of the Orpheus system at a fraction of the cost and worked well with all kinds of different amps I'd jump all over it. K701s out of your cdplayer/ipod/mp3 player/whatever sounds competatively for a fraction of the price. Versatility and price are hard to argue in favor of the K1000s. K1000s and the K701s don't sound similar, we all have different tastes. Just look at the # of people who prefer HD650 to K1000s, the people who prefer K1000s to Orpheus, the people who prefer K701s to K1000s. The people who prefer DT880 to the K701s...

I only listen to portable setups so obviously amp requirements/versatility are huge for me. Listening times are split between the K701s and the K1000s(with the K701s in a slight lead)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back