Anyone From Detroit?
Sep 30, 2007 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Joeywhat

100+ Head-Fier
Hello all...I'm looking at buying some AKG K701's, but I'd REALLY like to give them a try before I shell out that much money. I mean, the frequency response graph looks nice and all, but I can only tell so much from that. I also find that what I hear varies wildly from everyone else, so some review saying "ZOMG!!! These are awesome!!!!1!!" means next to nothing for me.

What I'm looking for is someplace in the metro Detroit area that offers a "try before you buy" service. So far the only place I've found is "Overture Audio", and they only sell Grado phones (I actually purchased some SR 125's from them). The only place I've actually been able to find AKG phones in general in stock has been guitar center, but they still don't have the 701's, and I doubt they'd let me try them out...(maybe).

So does anyone from this area know of a good shop that'll let you give them a try before you buy?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Sep 30, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm also open to suggestions for amps, if one is even needed...mostly do listening through my sound card, which can give me Grado's MORE then enough power....I figure the 701's should be similar.

I've tried a headbox II amp with the Grados, and it was alright...any other suggestions in that price range (under $150)?

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:27 PM Post #3 of 8
Why don't you just buy from HeadRoom, you get 30 days to return it if you don't like it.

Sep 30, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by shomie911 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you just buy from HeadRoom, you get 30 days to return it if you don't like it.

That I did not know...is their a restocking fee of any sort (obviously I'd pay the shipping)? I know with newegg.com, you have to pay a 15% restocking fee if you return anything...

I'd still like to see about anywhere in Detroit that sells the 701's (or high end home audio in general). I was thinking about buying the 701's used (from here).

Sep 30, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #5 of 8
FWIW, Audio Advisor, located in Kentwood, MI, has them, and also has a storefront. If that’s too much of a hike, you can order them over the phone. They also have a 30-day policy. Not sure if they have a restocking fee, though. Hope this helps. www.audioadvisor.com.

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:04 PM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, that's a bit of a hike...but I do have some friends that live nearby. Could always make a weekend out of it.

Don't like the price, though...almost $100 cheaper at other places. Might be worth it to stop by and check them out though.

Thanks for the help.

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #7 of 8
Also, with the K701s, you definitely want an amp.

Sep 30, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varcharz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, with the K701s, you definitely want an amp.

I figured as much...any suggestions? Under $150?

I've listened to a headbox II with my SR125, and it was decent...I don't want to spend a ton of money, and don't need it to be anything special. Can you get tube amps that cheap?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back