anyone from australia have a spare .01uF film cap?
Nov 10, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #2 of 10
you're kidding right? The cost of shipping would be much more than the part itself.

Nov 10, 2006 at 12:53 PM Post #3 of 10
I'm also from australia. why do you think i limited the country to australia?
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 10, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #4 of 10
Define film cap.

What are you after polyester, polypropylene, polycarbonate, polysterene... ?

Catch my drift... ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I have a 10nF/63V AVX polyester lying around if that is of interest. Just quickly looked up Solen and seems to be polyprop... so I doubt it.

Nov 10, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #5 of 10
Sorry I didn't explain proplery, I'm saying that these things are available from suppliers a plenty. Just go to wes components for one stock them. For a single part though it'll cost a lot for shipping so it may be worth waiting till you have a full order.

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbz
Sorry I didn't explain proplery, I'm saying that these things are available from suppliers a plenty. Just go to wes components for one stock them. For a single part though it'll cost a lot for shipping so it may be worth waiting till you have a full order.

wes components doesn't sell russian teflons nor solen (at least not in .01uf when i looked at the catalog) nor auricap
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 1:13 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by splaz
Define film cap.

What are you after polyester, polypropylene, polycarbonate, polysterene... ?

Catch my drift... ?
smily_headphones1.gif

no offense but

you don't seem to know what quality film caps are if you do not know solen or auricap or russian teflons (teflon are of course teflon caps)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:47 AM Post #8 of 10
Yes he does know what quality film caps are. What he listed are the materials, you were listing brands. Most of the popular Solen caps are either teflon or polypropolene based I believe.

Nov 11, 2006 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 10
splaz's question seemed like a perfectly legitimate engineering question. And the answer is polypropelyne. Anything more expensive than you very basic polypropelyne film cap and IMHO the money is wasted. The construction quality of generics can be as good and often better than the inflated audiophile caps.

In any event you are right they don't sell 0.01uf caps. Incidently it seems that solen doesn't even manufacture caps that small. If I were in your position I'd go for something like MKPX2 series 0.01uf from wes. Polypropelyne, FACO capacitor. However it's your project and the capacitor doesn't exactly look pretty.

Nov 11, 2006 at 8:44 AM Post #10 of 10
Well unless someone bites, you could do as Garbz suggested, which I have a feeling you may turn your nose up at...
tongue.gif

Soundlabs group have a 0.01uF/600V polypropylene, auricap. Don't seem to make 0.01uF in any lower voltage ratings.

If you can stomach Vishay
wink.gif
, Farnell have 0.01uF polypropylene in various voltage specs and radial or axial cases.

If you are insane, you could buy Hovlan Musicaps off speakerbits. The 0.01uF one will set you back $34.
blink.gif

Otherwise buying them internationally or off ebay is another possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back