Anyone find the Alessandro MS-1's too harsh?
Mar 25, 2010 at 1:18 AM Post #16 of 26
It's a combination of what type of music you listen to, what you're used to hearing, brain adjusting to the sound, and the infamous Grado "quality range".

My wife has this set of cheap crappy Sony's that were $35. But at some point in time, they were the only option I had... at first they sounded terrible, no detail or highs, humongous/stuffy/bloated bass, but after a few weeks, I actually got used to them and thought they sounded decent. Brain adjusted.

Then I got the MS1s and thought "sheesh, no bass, these things are way too bright", but then I considered that cheap crappy systems (headphones, car systems, whatever; cheap usually = huge bass) usually over-emphasize the bass in an effort to give you some fun in an otherwise crappy sound, so I just gave the MS1s a chance, fiddled with the equalizer a bit, let 'em burn in (ie let my brain adjust) and within a week it wasn't even a contest, and even now I can put those Sony's on and think, "wth was I thinking when I thought these sounded good?"

So, lesson here --- if yer used to bass-heavy cheapies, there's gonna be an adjustment period when you listen to something that's actually good. You may really be hearing a difference in bass --- those cheaps probly have the bass cranked and the MS1s are probly closer to a "realistic" bass, but they're gonna sound very light since you're "used" to the cheaps. Just gonna take some time.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a combination of what type of music you listen to, what you're used to hearing, brain adjusting to the sound, and the infamous Grado "quality range".

My wife has this set of cheap crappy Sony's that were $35. But at some point in time, they were teh only option I had... I actually got used to them and thought they sounded decent after a few weeks.

Then I got the MS1s and thought "sheesh, no bass, these things are way too bright", but then I considered that cheap crappy headphones usually over-emphasize the bass in an effort to give you some fun in an otherwise crappy sound, so I just gave the MS1s a chance, fiddled with the equalizer a bit, let 'em burn in (ie let my brain adjust) and within a week it wasn't even a contest, and even now I can put those Sony's on and think, "wth was I thinking when I thought these sounded good?"

So, lesson here --- if yer used to bass-heavy cheapies, there's gonna be an adjustment period when you listen to something that's actually good.

MS1 is still within the realm of what I'd consider bass-heavy cheapies.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:33 AM Post #18 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jp_zer0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You own a $250 headphone, the MS1s are $100. Duh.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

They have almost no bass.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #20 of 26
ms1 bass heavy?? never heard that before. what would you consider "bass light"?

they have a very bright sound, sure you can get used to it and after a while it will be the new norm for you. I thought they were too bright with not enough bass. I prefer my ath-m50 to them. I'm trading my ms1 to a guy for some hd555 which I thinking will be more my style.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #21 of 26
Quote:

Anyone find the Alessandro MS-1's too harsh?

yes for the new one. i have 2 MS1i, then old one i bought last dec and already
burned-in for more than 300 hours, the new one is just 4 days old (for my sis).
comparing how they sounds the fully burned-in one has better bass and better
highs. give time to burn. if you believe in burn-in. ^__^

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:52 AM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by shaneotool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ms1 bass heavy?? never heard that before. what would you consider "bass light"?

AD700s?

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:55 AM Post #23 of 26
Hmm, they didn't sound great at first. Got donut pads and they sounded a buttload better. Got used to them and they're keepers, i like their sound signiature. Considering getting one of the better Grado/Alessandro cans.

Mar 25, 2010 at 1:59 AM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioNovice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You own a $250 headphone, the MS1s are $100. Duh.

That was also my opinion when the RE0's were my best pair.
ph34r.gif

Not sure yet if they have been dethroned by the AD900 either. I need some more time.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:04 AM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

That was also my opinion when the RE0's were my best pair.
ph34r.gif

Not sure yet if they have been dethroned by the AD900 either. I need some more time.

FWIR RE0 are extremely respectable for price.
Although, might just not be the sound signiature for you, a lot of people don't agree with the general Grado sound signiature, they're very bright. They dont really have much bass but they've got quite a bit of midbass.

Mar 25, 2010 at 3:54 AM Post #26 of 26
Evenflow, pop around my place sometime and listen to my 1000's, I live in West Chermside, close as. You could probably walk to mine
biggrin.gif
I have pretty much all the pads you can get for Gradossandro's cept for flats so we can try em out, felt dampening is a possibility aswell. Shoot me a PM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back