Anyone feeling Radiohead's "Hail to the thief" album?
Apr 19, 2006 at 6:36 PM Post #2 of 39
Did you like the other Radiohead albums?

I wasn't that amazed with OK Computer myself (which happens to be the only album I own, although I've heard parts of Kid A).

Apr 19, 2006 at 6:40 PM Post #3 of 39
That album grew on me. First listen at a friends house I just didn't feel satisfied as a follow up to Kid A and Amnesiac. It actually sounded a bit weird and I wasn't impressed or it wasn't what I was expecting. But that album has grown on me. Its difficult to compare when you already have masterful works OK Computer, the Bends, and Kid A. Hail to The Thief is one of those albums worth leaving in your player for a week or so. You may just find yourself warming up to it.

Can't wait for the next album.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #5 of 39
Definately not OK computer 2. Radiohead is such a band that will never release such a thing.

Any radiohead guru can correct me if I am wrong but I believe in Kid A and Amnesiac (Kid B) they switched around/experimented with some of the instrument roles/duties during the studio recording process(that's why those albums sounded quite different). I am not sure how they created Hail...but I think they were back to their traditional studio formula and probably were still influenced by the Kid A/B departure.

Apr 19, 2006 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by cherepashka
..because i ended not liking it at all, maybe i just don't understand it.
?

I can't get into it at all. I love The Bends and OK Computer. I have listened to Kid A a little bit, it's ok.

Hail to the Thief just hasn't grown on me. I keep thinking if I listen to it more, I'll start liking it, but then I wonder if it is even worth the investment in time to keep listening to it, and end up moving on to something else. I've experienced this before with albums that I eventually ended up liking a lot, and usually there will be one or two moments on the album that let me know there is something good there. I'm not hearing that... Repeated listening may yet reward me, but I'm not keen on repeated listening right now.

Apr 19, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 39
Yea I'm with you, I really though Hail to the Thief was pretty lame. After the Bends through Amnesiac go through the progression of great to kinda listenable under the right conditions...Hail to the Thief more than continues the downward spiral.

Apr 19, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 39
So I decided to put my ipod to use and listen to it while at work. Here is my take:

Tracks 2, and 6-8 are a little to weird for me

Tracks 3, 4, 5, 10 and 11 are pretty good

Tracks kick ass imo:
1) 2+2=5
9) There There
12) Myxomatosis
13) Scatterbrain
14) A Wolf at the Door

Here is my sad attempt at a graph of that ".:::..."::"""
tongue.gif

What I see is an album with a strong kick off track...a pretty big lull in the middle with a few peaks and a strong finish. I would even say 12, 13, and 14 are the strongest tracks of the album.

This could be why its hard to digest. The middle of the album is probably a little boring to some.

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:53 AM Post #11 of 39
Loved it. I saw them on tour the summer after the release and it was so amazing to see how they were making the music onstage. Definitely a "different" concert going experience.
biggrin.gif

Slade

Apr 20, 2006 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 39
Punchup at a Wedding is one of my all time favorites from the second I heard it. AWESOME

Apr 20, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #13 of 39
Personally, I feel that Radiohead is just getting better and better. Being the Kid A-Amnesiac-I might be wrong the best they did for me. The hail to the thief is almost there too. Even better in some aspects.

The funny thing is that when Kid A-Amnesiac was released I bought the CDs and I didn't like them that much (apart from Piramid Song). And 3 years later they were on my 10 fav list of all time/style and on my 4 of rock/pop.

Can't wait for the next one.

Apr 20, 2006 at 1:08 PM Post #14 of 39
my only beef with HAIL is that it plays like a comp instead of an album.

but that's just me.

there are some awesome tunes on there (my faves are "Go to Sleep," "There, There" and "Sail to the Moon")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back