Anyone familiar with the E-MU 0204?
Apr 26, 2011 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

Xenos_IO26

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,

I have been listening to music on my HD 595s with just my computer's integrated sound card (Realtek ALC888s) for a while now. I feel like I can get better sound out of the 595s though, so I've been searching for a relatively cheap upgrade to my source. 

The E-MU 0204 looks very attractive since, from what I understand, it uses the same high grade chip as the E-MU 0404. I have no need for all the extra buttons and knobs on the 0404 all I will be using it for is to listening to music. Couple that with a lower price tag on the 0204 and it seems to be the natural choice. Since I am not familiar with audio equipment and all the jargon used to describe it, I would like some clarification. For USB DACs like these, is plugging it into my computer via the USB cable, then plugging in the headphones all that is necessary for it to start working? I know I have to change the my audio setting so that it uses the DAC instead of my integrated chip, but aside from that?

I have been reading about some people's compatibility issues with Windows 7 x64, but the specifications state that it is compatible. Can anyone confirm from experience?

Last question (I promise 
biggrin.gif
), just how much of an improvement would this be over what I am using now? Does it justify the $150 price (I am student, and I need money)? And are there better alternatives at this price point?

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Note: I'm in Canada, so not everything is available to me. I know the 0204 can be had for cheaper than $150 in the US, but it's the best I can find that accepts PayPal.

Apr 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 22
Oh, and I have already read through the entire thread on the E-MU 0204. I found no solid answers to my questions there. There wasn't even a detailed review.

So please don't just paste the link to that  :p

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:02 PM Post #3 of 22
I actually just ordered one of these yesterday. =] I'll probably have it by the end of this week or the beginning of next week, but 'till then I don't have any experience with it.

The 0204 does use the AK4396 "miracle" dac chip, which is the same one as the 0404 uses. It also supports pretty much every sample rate, which is nice. As far as specs go, I think you would be hard pressed to beat it for the price (specs really don't come close to telling the full story though). The Nuforce udac is also very popular at around the same price point, so you might want to look into that as well.
Whatever you end up getting there should be a pretty noticeable improvement over integrated audio.

I won't be able to comment on the sound or compatibly with windows 7 X64 until mine arrives though.....

Apr 26, 2011 at 7:07 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
I actually just ordered one of these yesterday. =] I'll probably have it by the end of this week or the beginning of next week, but 'till then I don't have any experience with it.

The 0204 does use the AK4396 "miracle" dac chip, which is the same one as the 0404 uses. It also supports pretty much every sample rate, which is nice. As far as specs go, I think you would be hard pressed to beat it for the price (specs really don't come close to telling the full story though). The Nuforce udac is also very popular at around the same price point, so you might want to look into that as well.
Whatever you end up getting there should be a pretty noticeable improvement over integrated audio.

I won't be able to comment on the sound or compatibly with windows 7 X64 until mine arrives though.....

Cool stuff. I'm more than willing to wait a few days for your impressions if you would come back to share your thoughts.

Thank you to you and anyone else who contributes  
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #9 of 22
I've got the 0204 hooked up to an iMac under OSX Snow Leopard, and I've been very happy with it.  No power cable, just a USB to the host's USB port.  The headphone volume knob also acts as a power switch for the unit as a whole (i.e., if you turn it down to minimum and keep going, it clicks and the unit powers off).  I've got it hooked up as follows:

iMac USB -> 0204 USB
iMac headphone out -> 0204 1/4" TS L & R instrument inputs (so I can use direct monitoring to pick up audio from the internal soundcard if needed)
0204 stereo 1/4" TS out -> Audioengine 2 speakers
0204 stereo 1/8" out -> RSA SR-71 (original model) headamp when needed

I tend to use the headphone out on the 0204 with the AT A900 phones.  It sounds excellent (to my fairly unrefined ears), and with the A900, the 0204 headphone amp does not sound significantly different from the SR-71.  If I try it with my portable IEMs (UE triple.fi 10 Pro), then I see a major improvement with the SR-71, in terms of clarity and punch.  So the 0204 headamp may be better suited for some phones than others, but those are the only two I have to test with.

Under OSX, I get some occasional sounds quirks when sample rates don't match up, but mostly I keep it set at 44.1 KHz and it sounds excellent.

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:
I've got the 0204 hooked up to an iMac under OSX Snow Leopard, and I've been very happy with it.  No power cable, just a USB to the host's USB port.  The headphone volume knob also acts as a power switch for the unit as a whole (i.e., if you turn it down to minimum and keep going, it clicks and the unit powers off).  I've got it hooked up as follows:

iMac USB -> 0204 USB
iMac headphone out -> 0204 1/4" TS L & R instrument inputs (so I can use direct monitoring to pick up audio from the internal soundcard if needed)
0204 stereo 1/4" TS out -> Audioengine 2 speakers
0204 stereo 1/8" out -> RSA SR-71 (original model) headamp when needed

I tend to use the headphone out on the 0204 with the AT A900 phones.  It sounds excellent (to my fairly unrefined ears), and with the A900, the 0204 headphone amp does not sound significantly different from the SR-71.  If I try it with my portable IEMs (UE triple.fi 10 Pro), then I see a major improvement with the SR-71, in terms of clarity and punch.  So the 0204 headamp may be better suited for some phones than others, but those are the only two I have to test with.

Under OSX, I get some occasional sounds quirks when sample rates don't match up, but mostly I keep it set at 44.1 KHz and it sounds excellent.

If you just wanted to listen to music though, you can bypass the 1/4" instrument inputs and simply use the USB to input sound from your computer right?

Apr 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #11 of 22

Quote:
If you just wanted to listen to music though, you can bypass the 1/4" instrument inputs and simply use the USB to input sound from your computer right?

Not entirely sure what you mean -- the USB connection makes the 0204 appear as a sound output device in the OS, so if you want to use the 0204 only for music and not be bothered by any other system sounds, then you could do the following (using the connections I described above):
1) Leave your internal soundcard as the default system audio device.
2) Set your music player to use the 0204 as its output device.
3) Turn direct monitoring off on the 0204, using the front panel button, so the only sound that comes out of the 0204 is the music.  If you want to hear your system sounds as well, turn on direct monitoring again.

Apr 29, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Not entirely sure what you mean -- the USB connection makes the 0204 appear as a sound output device in the OS, so if you want to use the 0204 only for music and not be bothered by any other system sounds, then you could do the following (using the connections I described above):
1) Leave your internal soundcard as the default system audio device.
2) Set your music player to use the 0204 as its output device.
3) Turn direct monitoring off on the 0204, using the front panel button, so the only sound that comes out of the 0204 is the music.  If you want to hear your system sounds as well, turn on direct monitoring again.

Very helpful, thanks.

May 3, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 22
I got mine today, and I am liking it so far. The headphone output is far better sounding than any integrated computer sound that I have heard, so I think it will be quite an upgrade for you. Even with my k702s (which really need an amp) it sounds surprisingly nice. I haven't got to listen to It with my easy to drive grados yet, because my roommate is using them (although I imagine if it does alright with the 702s it would be great with the grados). I just sold my little dot, so I'll be listening through the 0204's headphone out till I get home for the summer, then this will be used as a usb dac and to record some vinyl. It's quite a unit for the price..... I haven't heard the other competitors in this price range (such as the U-dac 2), but I don't think you can really go wrong with the 0204........

May 5, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
I got mine today, and I am liking it so far. The headphone output is far better sounding than any integrated computer sound that I have heard, so I think it will be quite an upgrade for you. Even with my k702s (which really need an amp) it sounds surprisingly nice. I haven't got to listen to It with my easy to drive grados yet, because my roommate is using them (although I imagine if it does alright with the 702s it would be great with the grados). I just sold my little dot, so I'll be listening through the 0204's headphone out till I get home for the summer, then this will be used as a usb dac and to record some vinyl. It's quite a unit for the price..... I haven't heard the other competitors in this price range (such as the U-dac 2), but I don't think you can really go wrong with the 0204........

Thanks Snag, great to hear that you're loving yours. I ordered mine this morning from AudioTopia, got a good deal but the shipping fee to Canada basically brought the price back up... Still, I can't wait to hear it myself and post my thoughts. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back