Anyone familiar with Storyhill?
Oct 26, 2005 at 2:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

saab

500+ Head-Fier
Otherwise known as Chris and Johnny. They play great accoustical guitar.

Here's a link to their site. Definately one of my favorite groups.

I am wondering if anyone has any reccomendations along this line.

Thanks
-John

Oct 27, 2005 at 5:28 PM Post #2 of 7
No one has any recommendations for contemporary accoustic/vocal works?
confused.gif

-John

Oct 28, 2005 at 1:00 AM Post #3 of 7
Its funny to see this post... I grew up with Chris and Johnny in MT and have on-and-off followed their music and (now separate) careers since high school days. They've both done some good solo albums and Johnny has been a few really good poppy/rocky bands...currently The Hopefuls in Mpls. As far as similar music you could start where they did - Simon and Garfunkel - who, no kidding, have some great songs if you can listen to them 'for the first time again'... Otherwise, I listen to Palace a lot...'Joya' is one of the more upbeat releases they (he) has done. 'Quah' by Jorma Kaukanon is an awesome listen with some fun vocal folksiness. Dark, but essential songsmithing from 'Nebraska' by Springsteen is great for driving at night...much like StoryHill are great for driving at day IMO.

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #4 of 7
Don't know the Storyhill guys but I do sometimes know a good acoustic folk album when I hear it, and Gillian Welch did a very good one a few years ago in 2001 called Time (the Revelator) that's still one of my favorites, and very nice sounding too. Recorded simply, live in the studio with just a couple of Neumann mikes, Gillian and David, banjo and vintage acoustic guitars, and a lot of good music. Gillian describes the album, "As opposed to little tiny folk songs, they're really tiny rock songs performed in an acoustic setting. In our heads we went electric without changing instruments."

The new Holopaw is mostly acoustic and a real nice one, as is their debut. Some electronic textures to light up the background though, kind of like Califone, whose Roomsound is a big favorite of mine. Nice recording too. Nina Nastasia The Blackened Air is a big favorite, and a very nice Steve Albini production so you know it sounds nice. Agree about Palace/Palace Brothers/Will Oldham/Bonnie Prince Billy. Love Viva Last Blues. One of those recs I'll probably keep pulling out until the day I nod off for good. Maybe not everybody's cup of folk, but works for me. Iron and Wine? Mountain Goats? Devendra Banhart? First Vashti Bunyan in 35 years just came out and I wanna hear that, backed by Devendra and Joanna Newsome. Richmond Fontaine? The new one called The Fitzgerald is stellar and along the same lines as that Nebraska jhambone mentions. Want more, got a bunch? You like it happy or sad? If melancholy rules check out Damien Jurado and his Where Shall You Take Me. And Nick Drake Pink Moon
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 28, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Lary Coryell and Steve Khan released an album called "Two For the Road", which is one of my favorite acoustic guitar albums of all time.

There aren't any vocals, but it is some of the best guitar duet performances I have ever heard - so sublime, and so rich! It's got a great latin/jazz feel to it.

Steve Khan also did a lot of great fusion work, but that's for another thread
biggrin.gif

Definitely check that one out, if you can find it.

Oct 28, 2005 at 12:54 PM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone
Its funny to see this post... I grew up with Chris and Johnny in MT and have on-and-off followed their music and (now separate) careers since high school days. They've both done some good solo albums and Johnny has been a few really good poppy/rocky bands...currently The Hopefuls in Mpls. As far as similar music you could start where they did - Simon and Garfunkel - who, no kidding, have some great songs if you can listen to them 'for the first time again'... Otherwise, I listen to Palace a lot...'Joya' is one of the more upbeat releases they (he) has done. 'Quah' by Jorma Kaukanon is an awesome listen with some fun vocal folksiness. Dark, but essential songsmithing from 'Nebraska' by Springsteen is great for driving at night...much like StoryHill are great for driving at day IMO.

No kidding. I have been a casual fan since probably '97, but have recently rediscovered their music for what it is. I can't get enough. They have a new albom due out in '06 and I am dying in anticipation.

Thanks for the other responses. I will look into all recommendations.
-John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back