Anyone familiar with JBL N28 speakers?
Feb 28, 2010 at 8:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

duckiedeity

100+ Head-Fier
Personally I've got a very limited knowledge about speakers and audio in general (though over the years I've tried to pick things up here and there) but my dad passed these speakers onto me as I was in the market and they were his spares (JBL N28, Northridge Series) and I was just wondering if anyone is familiar with them. They are a pretty low price-point set of speakers, nothing special as far as I can tell.. but I'm just trying to get a feel for how good or bad these speakers may actually be. I've never really heard any other semi-serious attempts at an audio setup so the speakers sound 'good' to me, but I have no point of reference so I don't really know (aside from my dad's speakers which are great.. he used to work in a speaker shop and the owner of the store was sort of this absent-minded genius of speaker building). Most of you probably have much more expensive setups nowadays but has anyone ever owned these or had any experiences with them at all? If so I'd like to hear your impressions.

For the record, I'm also using an old (1988 i guess?) Sharp receiver my dad coupled with these speakers for me. It's an SA-CD800. It seems like a decent little receiver, but when it comes down to it I really don't know what I'm talking about. Here's a picture:
big.jpg

If anyone knows anything about the receiver I'd appreciate information about it as well.

The reason I'm seeking information is that I've been tempted over the past 2-3 years to get some PSB Image series monitors or towers (B15, B25, T45, or T55 all in the running) but I am not sure if it would be a worthwhile upgrade, especially because I have no idea if I'd have to get a new receiver as well. I've just read raving reviews of PSB speakers on here and all over the internet, and there are often good deals on saturdayaudio.com, so I've really been considering them because it seems like they are quality for the price point.

So.... any information at all is appreciated. Thanks all.

Mar 1, 2010 at 3:33 AM Post #2 of 4
I had both the N24's and N26's in along with a matching Northridge center for a several years as my home theater setup. They are very solid speakers. I auditioned these vs some Infinity, Klipsch, Polk, and Boston Audio speakers at the time and found the Northridge to be the most appealing. I wish I hadn't had to sell them a couple years ago.

This was before I started down my current path of audiophiledom, but I would think you could definitely enjoy them for a bit.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #3 of 4
Regarding the Sharp CD changer/receiver, have you contacted Sharp about any product information? Assuming it's in proper working condition, you can certainly use it to power speakers such as the JBL's and the PSB's you've mentioned. The JBL's are not bad at all and I'm not sure the PSB's will be much better. Hook the JBL's to the Sharp and see how you like it.

Mar 3, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you both. It seems like the JBL's are worth using for a couple more years. In the meantime I will save up for a really worthwhile upgrade... unless there's a deal I just can't ignore on the PSB's. Anyway, thanks again. appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back