Anyone familiar with Derek Shek Dacs?
Oct 23, 2006 at 5:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

happyangryhappy

100+ Head-Fier
I just came across this dac on ebay, and it caught my eye. It uses the same NOS TDA1545A like the Constantine and Paradisea, which have had excellent reviews, but I can't find any reviews about this one anywhere. However, I know a couple people here have or have had the older Shek TDA1543 blackbox dac and was wondering what you thought of it? Thanks.

Oct 23, 2006 at 10:41 PM Post #2 of 4
I've been through both of the earlier 1543 chipped DS DACs.
The first (IMO) outperformed a Naim CD5i, being far more natural. The second improved the frequency extremes.
The only drawback I could find was a lack of detail, which my Bel Canto has added. Apart from that, the DS have been great DACs.
Not sure about the the 1545 version. I seem to remember that the 1543s were partly so good because the chips could power the output stage directly. The 1545 can't do that, so probably needs an analogue stage, which might be a dissadvantage, despite the DAC itself being supposedly better.

Oct 25, 2006 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 4
I have the 1543 version plugged into my sound card and then into my Alesis studio monitors and it works well.

Very musical and it does not pop, click or otherwise misbehave (unlike my Zhaolu D2 which is incapable of being fed 44.1 kHZ signal from my sound card without sounding like it is going to catch fire).

V.

Oct 25, 2006 at 12:11 PM Post #4 of 4
Well, it looks great. I have the TDA1543 version since the beginning of the year, but recently it has been replaced by my own DAC. If anyone is interested in taking the DS off my hands, my ears are open
biggrin.gif
. It has a nice mellow sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back