Anyone every heard of Over The Rhine?
Aug 27, 2001 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

JJDyn0mite

100+ Head-Fier
This was a group I was introduced to in college and they just keep making great music. The lead singer has one of the most amazing female voices I've ever heard. It would be hard to describe, but I think "haunting" would be accurate on some songs, somewhat frail but strong... I don't know exactly like I said, but it's AMAZING. Maybe similar to Sarah McLachlan but I prefer Karen's (OTR's lead) voice. Hard to describe the style of music as well, a lot of acoustic and piano instrumentals, but some good "plugged" stuff too, nothing very hard, with emphasis on vocals.

Anyway, their stuff sounds so good through headphones, I thought some others may appreciate it as well (fans of the female voice in particular)...

You can check them out here

They have several MP3's available for download (not the best quality, but it will give you an idea of their music), I would recommend going to this link and checking out the songs that their fans have voted top 10 (these are some of my favorites, too).

Anyway, if you check them out, let me know how you like it.

JJ

May 25, 2007 at 12:30 PM Post #2 of 6
ancient thread but i did a search and this was all.

I'm in love with this group right now. Scouring all their albums. Old and new all sound amazing. The lead singers voice does something to me. Surreal.

Over the Rhine - "Born"

May 25, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lumanogin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ancient thread but i did a search and this was all.

I'm in love with this group right now. Scouring all their albums. Old and new all sound amazing. The lead singers voice does something to me. Surreal.

Over the Rhine - "Born"

Yea, good band. I've made a few posts, but probably no threads. "Ohio" is definitely one of the best of the new millenium. Beautiful record., in all respects.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...52#post1666552

May 25, 2007 at 5:06 PM Post #4 of 6
I was always thrown off by the name - they are a good band with a unique sound.

"Go Down Easy" is a great song, as well as "What I'll Remember Most"

May 25, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by JJDyn0mite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The lead singer has one of the most amazing female voices I've ever heard. It would be hard to describe, but I think "haunting" would be accurate on some songs, somewhat frail but strong...

That is an excellent description of the disc I own "Drunkard's Prayer." It's good rainy day music for thinking of lost loves and lost chances.

I need to pick up "Ohio", which everyone raves about. Thanks for the bump lumanogin.

May 29, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #6 of 6
Over The Rhine is an awesome band! If you like Cowboy Junkies or songs with great lyrics check these guys out. Husband/wife duo that makes beautiful music. They are from Ohio so I get to see them all the time. If nothing else listens to these 3 great songs and you will be hooked for life:Ohio, Born, and Looking Forward(all of which are on their greatest hits Discount Fireworks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back