Anyone ever techflex a headphone cord?
Jan 11, 2006 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MikeW

Headphoneus Supremus
I've been considering doing this to my DT880's just as a precaution, that techflex is pretty tuff, if pvc gets caught on anything metal or even mildy sharp it gets shreded, what size techflex would you need for this? Is there any disadvantages?

Jan 11, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 7
If anything standard techflex will be prone to getting snagged on things more, and will add stiffness, weight, and microphonic noise when it rubs against things.

If you absolutely must have techflex, use Multifilament Nylon Techflex. Larry at Headphile.com uses it. It's a real pain to work with, but it's soft and cloth like.

So if you don't feel confident doing it yourself, Larry does a great job with the stuff.
wink.gif

-Ed

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood
If anything standard techflex will be prone to ...microphonic noise when it rubs against things.

Yup.

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:17 PM Post #4 of 7
I'd avoid using standard techflex on headphone cables, it's pretty stiff and very microphonic. I agree with Edwood use the multifilament nylon instead it's softer and more flexible.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #5 of 7
I love TechFlex. I use it on many power cables, speaker cables, and interconnects. Tried it on a Sennheiser cable once. It was WAY too stiff if you move around at all with your phones on.

Jan 13, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 7
Standard PE Techflex is stiff, adds excessive microphonic noise when rubbed by a surface or itself. My advice is to avoid using it. I have to pull out it after recabling my headphone. Heat shrink after the Y joint to the headphones can be a better solution. If yo have to use techflex use the multifilament type which is softer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back