Anyone ever have a really expensive hobby on which they regret spending $?
Jan 19, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #61 of 108
its funny to see this thread because I have been reminiscing the past few weeks about past "investments," wondering if my interest in headphones is destined to the same fate. I don't really regret buying comic books, if I remembered where they were (if I sold them or if they are in moms attic) I would probably take them out and read them one by one until I got tired of it (about 1-2 months later) and put them away (about 3-4 months later). I remember getting the... was it source? the comic book price guide and trying to price all my relatively new comic books which practically were depreciating in value. I had one from the 40s that was worth maybe $50 that I got for like $0.50 and one from a limited run that may still be increasing in price.

My brother has been interested in sports the last few years and just spent a good chunk of money on football cards (he's 10) so I told him if he finds my old cards (I had at least one box of 5000) he can have them. There were some $20-30 cards in there that I got in packs (I was pretty lucky that way.) I remember going to the card store with like $10, which bought like 2 packs of these really great basketball cards in which you were guaranteed a card of value. After getting several valuable cards, the store owner would buy the good cards in trade for more packs of cards. All in all I wound up getting the equivalent of about $80+ in cards, walking away with $40 in cash and some cards that are probably valuable (if i knew where they were)

I was into magic too, same concept as above although I had my most valuable cards stolen by a kid I bullied in 6th grade (no doubt the work of Karma, I stole some of those packs of cards from KB toy stores) who wound up ripping them up and flushing them. During 9th/10th grade, I stole many of my friends cards to sell them... very stupid... sometimes I feel like Earl (as in I am working to restore the balance of past bad deeds to current good behavior/good deeds)

I also collected pogs, I wish I still had those (I had a pog price guide as well... the original pogs went up in value very quickly) I had so many that were cool to look at. I won a few tournaments as well. I wound up giving them all (easily over 1000) to a girl I liked. I think she probably just wound up throwing them out... I don't think I saw her after that anyway... One thing that so far in my life has proven to be true without fail... everything I do regarding the opposite sex has produced a different result than what was intended... well, except for those special moments...
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:52 AM Post #63 of 108
My biggest financial regret that way, was joining band in the 5th grade. I realized almost immediately that I didn't have the motivation or the ear to learn a brass instrument properly, but not soon enough to lose almost $700 on the trumpet I had to buy.

Most of my other hobbies don't bring too much regret. I'm careful with my R/Cs so they very rarely get damage that becomes expensive to fix. I used to do comic cards (Rage:Apocalypse and NetRunner), but I enjoyed those games and still have the cards for play whenever I feel like it and find someone who remembers the games. Geology/Gemology, I still have all of my samples sorted and cataloged and they always make nice conversation. My stamps are all still cataloged in their albums as are my keychains from that collection. Heck, I still enjoy playing with my large collection of Legos.

Apr 8, 2009 at 2:18 AM Post #64 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha pokemon cards...that was just a few years ago right? Man you guys are either young, or young at heart!

Roller hockey...my mom doesn't look at me the same way anymore - probably because I am a girl.

Never regretted my roller hockey career. Kept in shape and was a fun game.

Costa Rica is worth going to at least once. The earth has 14 biospheres and Costa Rica has 12 within their borders.

My money regret will be split into two hobbys. Salt water reef keeping and partying.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #66 of 108
Stamp collecting - total waste of time and money for me, but I have one good friend who is passionate about it.

Apr 8, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #67 of 108
Modding car is too expensive!

Bumper, wheels, brakes, tires, exhaust, lights and etc etc...

imgp5162.jpg

74574033.jpg

70171884.jpg

Apr 8, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #68 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by wareagle69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Radio control cars. On-road, off-road, gas electric......1/10th. 1/8th scale. Spent at least $8 grand on this stuff, and now it is stacked in the garage. Guess I should have a couple of months of frenzied listing on ebay to try and recoup some of the bucks.

I took it up the patoot on this one. Back when Team Losi was the new thing. not the most expensive frivolous thing I have done by far but spending money like it was free and then smashing it up just as fast as I could spend it.
rolleyes.gif

At least the rest of my hobbies left me with something tangible like the headphone thing. Sept maybe rolling up dollar bills.
eek.gif

Apr 8, 2009 at 7:53 AM Post #69 of 108
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dual /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buying 1000+ Pokemon cards.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Outro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You win.

AHahHAhAHahhHahaa a

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:03 AM Post #70 of 108
Holy crap. I guess I never realized how many nerds we have in here.... judging by the amount of people who fell for that Pokemon craze. Damn people, what were you thinking?! I don't get the appeal AT ALL. The car stuff? Yeah, I can see it, and I can see why it'd be a waste, especially heavily modifying stuff like that with no resale value.

I'd say mine would be...hrmm... model airplanes. I spent hundreds on books, kits, etc, and never finished ONE. Haha. dumb. I also spent $1200 on a sweet ass DJ setup, used enough to learn how to spin, got decent, then got married and didn't touch it for 3.5 years. Sold it for $800. I kept all my albums, but I have no more TT's.

Apr 8, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #71 of 108
Car modding is waaay too expensive. For example, a couple of good camshafts for my Talon would cost me $600+. Last year I bought an old motorcycle that works very well, has no major problems, and has been getting me around fine and is fun to drive for $300. How can one justify spending twice as much for a couple of small machined rods as the motorcycle? Alas, it needs to be done :p

Btw, nice BMW above.

Apr 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #72 of 108
Wait til you tally your tube expenditures. When you finally find your best sound, look at the tubes you'll not use again.

Apr 11, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #74 of 108
Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh cards, and the early Beyblades. I don't exactly regret them, but I didn't really do much other than collect em. Although, they were basically my childhood in a nutshell. I remember importing some special thing too XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back