anyone ever had a drastic change in career?
Jun 26, 2007 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
after 5 years of college earning my Architecture degree and even more years working professionally in the field, i'm sad to say it's not working for me. i haven't been enjoying it for a few years now; i don't feel fulfilled, and i dread going to work in the morning. it's not that Architecture is not challenging and boring (far from it), i just find myself jaded, uninterested and feeling it's a chore.

on that note, starting this August i'll be leaving the Architecture field for good and going to NYU for a Master's in Higher Education Administration. i was a Student Advisor, New Student Orientation leader, and a Resident Advisor in college, and was always passionate about extra-curricular activities on campus... sometimes even more so than academics. i've been contemplating this direction for a few years now, and i'm excited i finally took the plunge and making it happen. i'm scared... very scared, but also very excited.

i guess what i'm trying to say is... has anyone ever gone through a similar situation in a career change? did you regret your decision, or was it the best thing your did and never looked back? do i stay with something steady and familiar or give it all up and head for uncertainty? school/internship hasn't even started yet but i hope i'm making the right decision... so far it feels right.

thanks for letting me type my thoughts.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:11 AM Post #3 of 23
I have gone through 2 career changes, 1 voluntary, 1 involuntary. The involuntary move really did me in, and I hated it. Recently I quit my job and started my own business in an unrelated field, and it's the best thing I've ever done.

Jun 26, 2007 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 23
My dad went from school teacher to painter. He never wants to go back.

Jun 26, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 23
I went from a Buss Boy & Dishwasher to Windows 95 Technical Support Representative, to Amazon.com Warehouse Receiving/Inventory Problem Solver, to Microsoft Xbox Video Game Evaluator, to Testing/Debugging Video Games, to Pawnbroker to ACE Hardware Employee.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:00 AM Post #7 of 23
Yeah, I started off as an architecture/planning student, worked as a graphic designer after getting out of school, went into software engineering and these days I'm mostly a manager... It's fun but I've been planning what to do after I grow up, just haven't figured it out yet but if work keeps up like it's been lately, I'm going for a job at McDonald's!
evil_smiley.gif

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #8 of 23
Hi Bong, I've changed my career several times, but it was primarily for more money. Initially I liked the changes that I've made, but after a few years I get burned out and then move to something else.

I noticed on your original post, you mention that you will go back to school. Things that I would consider in your situation. After completing your masters degree, will it be difficult to get paid the same amount or more as your previous career?

How difficult will it be to get the job you went to school for?
I know a few MBAs that don't work at a management level. Is it possible that you will have to start at an entry level and it might be a long road till you get to the level you want?

I used to get that feeling of dread Sunday nights because I wasn't looking forward to starting the work week. What I noticed in my career, it that it's not 100% what you doing. Most people that I talk to don't like working, but it's the environment that you work in and the people you work with. Your co-workers can make you feel either happy or bitter.

I think you have alot of guts to go back to school.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #9 of 23
I've gone through numerous different careers, none professional or collage. I started in the early 90's working in several retail jobs, then in 2000 worked in a health food store, then moved to butcher, from there I took on a career as a lube tech at an oil change place, from there went to a gourmet market and worked in the bakery, left that and did call center work (tech support for a large web presence provider) for 4 years, then did DSL tech support, and my last job did support for credit card terminals. Right now I'm unemployed I moved to N florida and can't find work here, and been massively sick for 8 months.

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:07 AM Post #11 of 23
Ok, its a long list. Ready?
Picking pineapples in the fields of Oahu, Hawaii
Canning plant pineapple Oahu, Hawaii
Lei Greeter Honolulu International Airport, Hawaii
Duty Free Shoppers, Honolulu Airport security
US Navy, Machinists Mate, Naval Propulsion Plants
Air Couriers International, Courier
Gemco, security and loss prevention
Intel Corp., Line Maintenance Technician (chip fab)
Intel Corp., Equipment Engineer
Portrait Artist, France, England, New Mexico
Computer Instructor, California College
Audio Designer/Manufacturer, My own startup business

Jun 26, 2007 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 23
I went from motor mechanic (7 years) to auto electrician (11 years) to builders laborer (3 years and still going) and reckon that job changes are thebest thing you can do. But the main thing is to do them while your young so you don't fall into the " I'm to old to retrain " category.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:35 PM Post #13 of 23
I worked as a broadcast technician for about 10 years (5 years too long) and recently began a career as a survey technician for Fugro Chance, positioning marine vessels in the Gulf of Mexico. The work environments could not possibly be more different, as I have spent a decade in dark air conditioned rooms working, to be out on back decks of boats, lift boats and oil rigs taping wires, running up stairs, deploying and picking up sonar rigs, and dealing with a panoply of oil field personnel.

It was the best thing that could have happened to me. After spending years in an insulated and isolated environment, I was forced out in to the open to deal with a larger number of people in various mindstates, and to have to deal with them in my own various mindstates (from good to nearly pukinig from seasickness). I also had to learn what it really means to be part of a team, and the skills I learn from this job will serve me well anywhere else I go from here.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:25 PM Post #14 of 23
Went from Software/Hardware I.T. Sales/Marketing to a full-time, stay at home dad to a currently 22 month old! I love it because I love my child and the joy she gives us, but it is the hardest, most challenging job i've ever had by far (YOU try it!)!!! The business world at large needs to respect how challenging stay at home parenting truly is.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ham Radio Nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Went from Software/Hardware I.T. Sales/Marketing to a full-time, stay at home dad to a currently 22 month old! I love it because I love my child and the joy she gives us, but it is the hardest, most challenging job i've ever had by far (YOU try it!)!!! The business world at large needs to respect how challenging stay at home parenting truly is.

I don't doubt the difficulty of it at all.

Fortunately, you have the opportunity to stay home for your little girl. I know not everyone does. She will benefit from it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back