Anyone ever disassemble/mod the Sharp MD33S buds?
May 9, 2006 at 11:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Superbaldguy

1000+ Head-Fier
In an effort to try to "fix" my almost-new Sharp MD33S (see this thread for reference: http://www5.head-fi.org/forums/showt...ghlight=MD33S), I wonder if anyone has attempted to mod these. I think the grill can be easily removed, but I wonder what my next move would be - I can simply try cleaning them, I suppose..........

May 10, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #2 of 6
Somewhere here there is an extensive modthread for the Sharps, describing how to remove the grills, do a search.

May 10, 2006 at 8:53 AM Post #3 of 6
There was a suggestion to use a Q-Tip and rubbing alcohol on the grills, first. I have nothing to lose by trying that.....

May 10, 2006 at 9:21 AM Post #4 of 6
I did.

The metal ring can be simply pulled from the housing, using a pocket knife or something.

The tube with the metal grill is glued to the housing with some elatic glue. Just pull it off gently.

If your done cleaning, the parts should stick together well with the glue thats left on the parts.Very mod-friendly, indeed.

You may also try to put some foam in th tube, in case you find em too harsh.

May 10, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Yeah, I just noticed it was easy to pull out the grills when I look up through them, I can see how easily they get clogged. You should be able to see a light from behind them=) I have them soaking in alcohol, right now.

How often do you think these delicate grills can be pulled off?

May 10, 2006 at 10:59 AM Post #6 of 6
OK, after using both alcohol and CLR, the grills are squeaky-clean. I can see the drivers behind the meshes after putting them back in place, so they should work just fine. I'm thinking that I can regularly soak the grills by simply sitting the respective earpiece (without removing the grills) in a pop bottle cap solution of CLR, shouldn't hurt the plastic.......The grills seem delicate and can only be removed a few times, I'd think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back