Anyone ever cut the foam out of the DT770?
Sep 1, 2006 at 4:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tomjonesrocks

100+ Head-Fier
I've now removed the (removeable) foam pads on K81DJ and HD650, thanks to the suggestions of others here, to great success. Although I've only had the 650s for 48 hours, I definitely preferred K81DJ without the foam, and initial reaction on the 650 is that it's an improvement.

So--has anyone ever taken the foam out of the DT770? I can't help but wonder if taking out the foam would brighten up the mids/highs a little and maybe, just maybe, even tighten up the bass. The foam of the DT770 is just as substantial as the foam of the HD650. Looks like you just pull out the plastic rings behind the earpads, and take them out.

Has anyone dared do this? A search for this didn't bring up anything for me.

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:21 AM Post #2 of 4
Well, I couldn't wait for a reply once I realized how easy this was to do. I think this really does brighten these things up to at least some degree, as it did with the other phones.

Have those that have tried this (there's GOT to be some that have, there's no tools required, that ring holding down the foam just snaps out with your fingers). What were your impressions?

If I choose to leave these off I may want to do the "panty hose" thing others did with the 650s. It's intriguing though.

Sep 1, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Since you've removed the foam, can you tell me what is left that protects the driver from being poked and damaged? If you have a picture, that would be great!

I have the foams on my 990 on still, but wonder what happens during handling when I accidentally hit the foam with my fingers.

Thanks.

Sep 1, 2006 at 6:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by watchthewaves
Since you've removed the foam, can you tell me what is left that protects the driver from being poked and damaged? If you have a picture, that would be great!

I have the foams on my 990 on still, but wonder what happens during handling when I accidentally hit the foam with my fingers.

Thanks.

My camera's not handy at the moment--maybe later I'll take a photo--but all that's below the foam is a bulge in the center (the driver itself? I'm not pushing down on that either) and plastic all the way around the bulge covered by a very thin layer of white mesh. The pantyhose thing would help a little--but if that bulge in the center is vulnerable, they'd be only slightly more vulnerable without the foam I think. I don't see that foam really protecting too much. If the 990s come apart as easy as the 770s it would only take a sec to check it out though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back