Anyone else using a PDA?
Jan 7, 2002 at 10:11 PM Post #18 of 34
tracy,
nice setup!!! Get a silver slider and you can shed a couple of pounds off your Ipaq
smily_headphones1.gif

Are you running Pocket PC 2002?

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #19 of 34
A nice iPaq 3835 here too, with a 1G Microdrive, 802.11b and all the toys - but the MP3 players for it are pretty average. It does have great output though, drives Etymotics well.

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:19 AM Post #20 of 34
I've enjoyed using my Casio E125 with a 1gig microdrive. I currently have several hours worth of music, plus a couple of books on the drive. Drives my Etymotics very well indeed.

One question, though. What kind of battery life do you fellow PDAers get when playing MP3s? I seem to get only about 3-31/2 hours with the microdrive. I've thought about getting a flash card but really enjoy having all of the space the microdrive offers.

Thanks,

David Parrish

Jan 8, 2002 at 1:20 AM Post #21 of 34
Quote:

nice setup!!! Get a silver slider and you can shed a couple of pounds off your Ipaq

its a compaq 3735...... running pocket pc 2002

Quote:

A nice iPaq 3835 here too, with a 1G Microdrive, 802.11b and all the toys - but the MP3 players for it are pretty average. It does have great output though, drives Etymotics well

dats a phat organizer dude!

Jan 8, 2002 at 12:36 PM Post #23 of 34
Hey thats great that ur all using your PDAs in a most ear friendly manner...
cool.gif

Just did my first synch, rip, encode and load. Bonnie Raite's Luck of the Draw .... WMA 44/96 on dbpoweramp.

Sound quality is good, better than expected... but still well short of true cd quality.

Might have to trade my HP890s for a big chunk o flash memory...

wink.gif

Jan 9, 2002 at 4:00 AM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Ijust got the new Sony Clie N760C, high res screen, and has an onboard MP3 player. To be honest I haven't had time to play with the player yet, but hopefully soon.

Hot damn...for the price of one of those i could x-cans and HD600s and visit this forum a lot less.

Jan 10, 2002 at 2:27 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish

One question, though. What kind of battery life do you fellow PDAers get when playing MP3s? I seem to get only about 3-31/2 hours with the microdrive. I've thought about getting a flash card but really enjoy having all of the space the microdrive offers.

Hi David,
Im doing a bit of a battery test at the moment so ill post what endurance i get when playing mp3 on internal memory (no microdrive)... I have read somewhere that the larger microdrives actually require less juice than the smaller versions...oh and is your 3.5 hrs continuous playback?

Jan 10, 2002 at 3:29 AM Post #26 of 34
Buddha,

When viewing files or doing word processing, reading email, etc., I get longer battery life--perhaps 4 or more hours.

But when I'm playing MP3s or playing video games I get not much more than 3 hours, tops, when playing continously. I also listen to audio books alot (audible.com is great!)and this seems to have the same effect on the microdrive, as it is constantly spinning to access information for these tasks.

I have an extra battery, but no dedicated charger (other than the one that comes with the Casio and plugs directly into the PDA), and I have a portable video camera-type battery that I can use, but all of this gets to be a hassle, especially if I'm out and about.

But as an MP3 player, the Casio is a great one, especially when paired with my Etymotic 4S earphones!

By the way, I have the 1 gig microdrive. I'll be interested in hearing your report on battery usage times!

Thanks,

David

Jan 10, 2002 at 6:52 AM Post #27 of 34
Tim,
I absolutely agree, wouldn't buy ANY PDA for use as my portable sound system, my MD recorder beats teh pants off any MP3 player I've ever heard. But it is a nice feature for those REALLY boring meetings i get stuck in, and besides, my company bought the thing for me, my major use of the PDA is business related stuff.
evil_smiley.gif

Jan 12, 2002 at 3:13 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

By the way, I have the 1 gig microdrive. I'll be interested in hearing your report on battery usage times!

With screen dim/toggled off (90% of time) and playing non- cotinuous wma trax at volume level 4 (loud on koss 35s), i got about 5.5 hrs playback. The battery is only on its second charge so it might gain a little with a couple more cycles.

I plan to add a simple 4aa nimh battery helper, which (should) double the life. Ive read that cf cards eat a little battery power too, but not as much as your microdrive. As a keen traveller,i find the ability to have audio books, text books, maps, photos,e-mail and of course, lots of music, in such such a compact unit is just unbeatable.

cool.gif

Jan 13, 2002 at 9:43 AM Post #30 of 34
4 hours? Wow. How can you use the thing to plan your life when it only lasts 4 hours?

I usually charge my Palm Vx about 1x/week, a time-frame that includes seven syncs* (including ~2mb transfers from Avantgo), time reading all of that stuff on trains, a bunch of alarms every day, and about 12 hours of writing/note taking/e-mail or SMS composing or reading with the external fold-up keyboard hooked on. It's also included six hours or more of in-plane report writing at times. The thing has never died on me.

Maybe there's something to be said for monochrome simplicity!

*I don't charge it with every sync because my Palm cradle is a 110V, and I only have one 110V-220V transformer to cover several things.

Quote:

Originally posted by dparrish
Buddha,

When viewing files or doing word processing, reading email, etc., I get longer battery life--perhaps 4 or more hours.

But when I'm playing MP3s or playing video games I get not much more than 3 hours, tops, when playing continously. I also listen to audio books alot (audible.com is great!)and this seems to have the same effect on the microdrive, as it is constantly spinning to access information for these tasks.

I have an extra battery, but no dedicated charger (other than the one that comes with the Casio and plugs directly into the PDA), and I have a portable video camera-type battery that I can use, but all of this gets to be a hassle, especially if I'm out and about.

But as an MP3 player, the Casio is a great one, especially when paired with my Etymotic 4S earphones!

Thanks,

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Back