Anyone else use UM2 w/ Rockbox iPod?
Apr 14, 2006 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ckhirnigs113

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I have just switched to Rockbox recently, and I find the sound much better than the stock firmware on my 4g iPod Photo. I use the simple treble/bass settings to adjust the sound, and I have found the sweet spot at Treble +5 and Bass +0. This really helps the UM2's much better than the "Treble Boost" EQ on the original firmware.

Has anyone dabbled in the graphical EQ with their Rockbox iPod and UM2s? I am interested in finding the absolute best settings for my UM2s. I am impressed with my simple settings now, but any advice is always welcome from those with more experience.

Thanks, CK

Apr 15, 2006 at 7:50 AM Post #2 of 9
Well, has anyone at least noticed a difference in sound quality when they switched to Rockbox?

Mar 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 9
Well to revive my old thread, I have since switched to a 5g iPod. I use RockBox and the hardware EQ to boost the treble. I have tried lots of different combos, but I don't think I've found the optimal settings.

Does anyone use their UM2s with RockBox? I would appreciate it if you could share the EQ settings you use. Thanks, CK

Mar 10, 2007 at 1:51 AM Post #4 of 9
This thread will be of interest to you: http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=6139.0

On a side note, sharing EQ preferences tend to not work very well, as everyone has very different preferences on what they want to hear in their music. Just play around with it for a while, and you will get to where you want to get eventually.

Mar 10, 2007 at 4:03 AM Post #5 of 9
Don't you just love placebo?
tongue.gif

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:01 AM Post #7 of 9
Rockbox has much more than just a custom EQ...

Mar 10, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #8 of 9
The rockbox EQ is probably the best one along with the Karma EQ which is almost the same. Very daunting though. It was a few days before I figured out settings that surpassed the simple bass/treble settings I liked.

Like Scorche said your hearing is your own so your EQ will probably be different. But I will give some advice. Go to school. Search the web and you will find the things you need to know. You really need to learn about where to set your frequencies for the instruments you want to control the gain of and where/how to adjust to change tone. And Q values are important for the range of freqs you want to affect. I tried trial and error using EQ freqs similar to ones on other players I have and playing around but I got nowhere and still preferred the bass/treble settings. It wasn't till I learned more that I started getting somewhere.

You are almost unlimited but there is the highest learning curve. Heck, I gave my ER4's the most sibilant mids the other day and couldn't get the tone of cymbols right. Now I have them sounding great, like a groovalizer. They are all about the low end with detail, punch, and good tone. They are faster now(a fortunate by-product) and kicks, snares and the bass guitar riffs flow so well together. You can beef up the bass on Ety's without thickening up or congesting them like other players EQ's. I'm sure you can get the highs right on the Westones.

Once you read up a bit and know better what/how your controlling, you should be able to make the UM2's sound just how you want them. This is where the increase in SQ is. My Toshiba stock could not get the Ety's to sound as good as they do now with Rockbox. No question about it.

Apr 25, 2007 at 2:01 AM Post #9 of 9
After a few months with Rockbox on my 5G iPod and my UM2's I feel I have come to a pretty satisfying place. I have my Hardware EQ set at:

Low Shelf Filter - Cutoff Frequency: 105Hz; Gain: +1dB
High Shelf Filter - Cutoff Frequency: 5.3kHz; Gain: +10dB.
I then have the normal Treble set at +2dB. I now find nothing lacking in the UM2's presentation.

Hopefully this will help someone along as they try to get the most out of their UM2's. Good luck, CK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back