Anyone else use thermal cable strippers?
Dec 7, 2005 at 7:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

doobooloo

Headphoneus Supremus
A few months ago, while having trouble stripping my 26~28AWG teflon coated silver plated wire with conventional wire strippers, I started to look for better answers. I came across the thermal cable stripper solution.

But, handheld "personal" thermal strippers were hard to come by, but luckily landed a reasonably good deal on one for $90 on eBay a few months back.

Mine seems to be known as the Stripall TWC-1 made by Teledyne. Looks like this:

strip3units.jpg

Optionally comes with the level adjuster for sheaths with lower melting point:

prod_stripall.jpg

Some product info available here:
http://www.teledyneinterconnect.com/.../wirestrip.asp

Mine didn't come with the adjuster. But anyway, back to the story... I've been stripping cables and what not with these and I can't imagine going back to the old mechanical method where cuts are imperfect, conductor gets damaged, and twisted pairs get out of whack when I'm pulling on one wire...

Perfect, clean stripping of Teflon with almost no axial stress applied to the cable or sleeve. And no nicks made on the conductor. And no risk of strands being partially cut from stranded cables.

Anyway, thought I'd share my very positive experiences with this little tool since not many people here seem to have come across them in the past. For teflon sleeves, this is it. Kind of expensive, but heck, this is Head-Fi...

Dec 7, 2005 at 2:18 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenScrtchBoy
does it create an awful burning teflon smell...?

Maybe. Are you worried about the toxicity of melting teflon? Not much to worry about, unless you overheat it. Click.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back