Anyone else tired of IEM's?
Jan 29, 2006 at 8:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Pete7

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't know what it is, but I think the honeymoon is over with my UM2's and UM56's. I used to be so awed by the sound in my head that I didn't really notice that I had 2 pieces of silicone jammed into my ear canals. As time goes by, it seems like the IEM's are getting less and less comfortable and the sound doesn't seem as intense as it once was. I'm seriously considering trying out a pair of Senn HD-25's as an alternative. I mostly use my UM2's for portable outdoor use and it seems like I'm not enjoying them anymore. I know the HD-25's are kind of big and bulky, but I'm not sure I really care about stealth anymore. The isolation supposed to be pretty good and I'm sure the sq is as good if not better. Anyone else having similar symptoms?

Jan 29, 2006 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 31
As much as I love my Ety 4S they can be a pain. I don't think I'm ever going to stop wearing them though as I still really like the sound. For portable use I doubt I'm gonna change to anything other than IEM's for all their faults. Comfort can certainly be a problem with IEM's, both of my IEM's hurt my ears after a time and both present everything right between your ears, not the ideal way to hear music as you've noticed.

My major issue is that I really miss the sense of scale and the effortless 'big speaker' presentation only full-sized phones can provide. That relaxed ease with which they can blow your eardrums out whilst never even straining. Both my IEM's feel like they are 'working' to produce sounds, they don't give the impression of bottomless power and grunt of a big can, sometimes you just need to liberate the sound a little more. Then it's time to break out the Stax.

*flick, aaaaaahhh*
lambda.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 2:33 PM Post #3 of 31
For my portable use, not even the PX line is small enough with good enough isolation and sound. IEM are the only way to go. That said, home listening is done with either the Grados or the 280s. Wish I could get big cans with shorter cords.

Jan 29, 2006 at 3:40 PM Post #5 of 31
IEMs certainly have their failings, but I just love the isolation and having no
weight or pressure to remind me I am listening to phones.
OK there is the fact that ones ears are full up, but with the right tip and fit
it is possible to forget about them.
Last summer when the weather was a bit warm for wearing my Stax 404s
without working up a sweat, I used only IEMs for months even when I did
not really need to, returning to bulky circumaural phones was a ugh
mad.gif
Except for the sound of course!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 4:01 PM Post #6 of 31
A good possibility is that your comply tips are wearing out and need replacing...

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #7 of 31
Just out of curiousity, for those who are getting sick of IEMs--are they your primary cans for listening to music?

I have owned my super.fi 5 pro for about 2 weeks, but I purposely bought them for one specific reason: noise isolation. So I only use my sf5 for walking to/from places (work, groceries) and for when I'm doing my creative writing at a Coffee Bean.

For all other instances I use my open cans (usually the SR60 or PX100).

Normally I don't wear my IEMs for more than 30 minutes (walk to work). Creative writing may last 1-2 hours but I rarely have them on the whole time, because I start focusing on the music sometimes and not the work.
etysmile.gif

But even in short 30-60 minute stints I can definitely feel a sort of fatigue of wearing the IEMs. I don't think I'd ever use them as my primary cans (sound quality being the main reason, but comfortability is a close second).

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 31
I had used my Ety's as my primary 'phone for a long time. Wearing them for upto 5 hours a day or so. Now it's split, 75/25 Stax/IEM. I still end up wearing my IEM's at home when I'm on the laptop and my wife puts some crap on TV, only way to tune it out
etysmile.gif

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete7
I know the HD-25's are kind of big and bulky, but I'm not sure I really care about stealth anymore. The isolation supposed to be pretty good and I'm sure the sq is as good if not better. Anyone else having similar symptoms?

I know exactly what you mean - I went on my "portable cans" kick after I had already owned the Shure E5c and the Sensaphonics 2X-S. Even now I am just as likely to use my ATH-ES7 as I am any of my IEM.

I will say though that the HD25-1 doesn't have the sound quality as the IEM you own/have owned. There is a step down in terms of pure sonics. But yeah, not having that "plugged in your ears" feel and sound is nice. Unfortunately, as with much else on this board, it just means that you gotta own all types of cans.
biggrin.gif

Best regards,

-Jason

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Mahoy
A good possibility is that your comply tips are wearing out and need replacing...

I've got UM56 custom tips. And I did order The Sennheiser HD-25's. They're as close to a can as you can get with a 1.5m cord. I bought a set of HF-1's 2 months ago, loved them, and moved up to RS-1's. This was my first exposure to what a full-size can sounded like, and maybe that's what's spoiled my UM2 experience.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 31
I love my HD25 1's, but they don't have even remotely the isolation of my Er6i. I can use the senns for blocking out television and if the environment is not too urban, they're great for portable use. For commuting/air travel and traffic heavy areas, the Er6i gets the nod. Both have positive and negative sound signatures. The ety's are bass shy if unamped and the Senns can be a bit sibilant if unamped. Soundstage is minimal for both. All with 3g ipod and govibe v3.

Jan 29, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 31
Quote:

I've got UM56 custom tips. And I did order The Sennheiser HD-25's. They're as close to a can as you can get with a 1.5m cord. I bought a set of HF-1's 2 months ago, loved them, and moved up to RS-1's. This was my first exposure to what a full-size can sounded like, and maybe that's what's spoiled my UM2 experience.

IEM's are inded impressive given their miniscule size and can also sound very good, but I think that you may be right. That exposure to HF-1/RS-1's, that 'full can' experience can spoil the percieved aura of even great IEM's. There's definitely something missing with IEM's good as they are.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #13 of 31
IEMs are not replacements for full-size cans (UE-10 possibly excluded). They are fantastic Portable phones. I can't name a single song that I prefer my er6i to my HD-580 for. But for portable use I use the er6i exclusively, because their isolation and portability just plain shine.

Jan 29, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #14 of 31
I use my high-end IEM's as my one-and-only primary source; home listening and portable use alike.

I will never have enough of them.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:06 AM Post #15 of 31
Quote:

As time goes by, it seems like the IEM's are getting less and less comfortable and the sound doesn't seem as intense as it once was. ....The isolation supposed to be pretty good and I'm sure the sq is as good if not better. Anyone else having similar symptoms?

Not me personally. Still love them: Er-6i with foam earpieces. Happy as a clam. I love being able to listen to my music with precison and not my music + sound leakage of: crying baby/loud people/traffic/awful gym sound sytem/what have you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back