Anyone else think the new sony s master mx amp sounds very different to previous sony walkmans?
Dec 29, 2011 at 9:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

bucho2004

New Head-Fier
i have had the A865 for quite a while now,  and while i got used to and love the different sound signature it has  than the previous x series and a845, i wish there would be more users discussing the little walkman, if only to see if they feel the same or different about the sound quality this little player pumps out.? also i live in the uk and alot of people have been unsure or have dissmised the player altogther, due to the previous player (A845) ridicioulus volume cap. While SONY is entirely to blame for this, i would really like to hear from someone who lives in the UK or the EU about the difference in volume loudness that iam hearing from this player compared to the a845? unfortunetly i think iam the only one who bought this player
triportsad.gif
 and while i dont regret buying it, i feel kind of sad and ronrey, that other members cant  discuss with me on the sound improvments? or dissapointments? than previous sony players. as i really do think that it is the best sony sounding walkman to date.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:50 AM Post #2 of 9
I was very much looking to upgrading to the same Model after being proud owner of A818 for many years.

When I read opinions on these forums that the new X amp was not as smooth sounding it put me off. I'm now after a X1060 as I believe that gives a sound closer to the sound signature I prefer.
I wish Sony had just done a X1060 mark II with a better UI, SD card support, recording & got rid of the video/browsing support. Back to roots of WALKMAN - solid playback & recording.

Dec 29, 2011 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 9
I plan on trying out the Z1070 at some point, since the Japanese version has English now as a language setting, and wouldn't be capped. Kind of hope it would sound a little different/better than the A865, since Duncan (mod here) noted not so favorable sound signature changes from the X as well. But the 64gb, touch screen, Android platform (hello Rockbox port), and probably still good SQ, make it too attractive not to get as a replacement to my aging X.

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 9
hi
i totally agree with you, the x series sound signature is rather different than new amp that sony uses, although it  just has mx added o the name its different, i do hope people could have a listen to it, and post thier likes and dislikes of it. as i think sony is using the mx amp in a new bells and whistles z series walkman. maybe after that  walkman appears, the might be more users discussing the new sound quality of the walkman. good or bad. for me personally i enjoy  the new sound sig, but it is at the end of the day just my opinion, i just wish there were more opinions of it
redface.gif

Dec 29, 2011 at 10:44 AM Post #5 of 9
Hi, im thinking in upgrade my old A828, and i think im going to buy this, i have only one question, im going to buy it in the uk(amazon uk), anyone knows if that version has the volume cap?, i see you have this player(a865), is the uk version? However, i have an amp that can boost the volume so this should not be a problem, im going to buy it the next week, i will post my opinion and comparison vs a828

Dec 29, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #6 of 9
If you buy in the UK, yes you'll get the capped version (same in most European counstries).
I considered buying a A867 for a while, but touchscreen and bluetooth is not much of an upgrade compared to my A847... and the asked price for 64Gb is nearly as high as for a 64Gb iTouch, with less versability.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:27 PM Post #7 of 9
I started a thread on this already but haven't had time to update it due to work and such - http://www.head-fi.org/t/584571/head-to-head-comparison-s-master-nw-x1060-nw-a847-vs-s-master-mx-nw-a1070#post_7958632. I'll update it soon.

But at a quick answer without doing a lot of detailed comparison between the NW-X1060, NW-A847, and the NW-Z1070, I'd say the Z is closer to the X than the A series in terms of quality (meaning better; I preferred the SQ of the X to the A). Vastly different? I'm not convinced of that but I think it is better than the older S-Master implementation.

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #8 of 9
That's good to hear about the Z sounding somewhat closer to the X (too many darn letters getting thrown around here!)... because from what Duncan said about the A865 its S master MX amp, the sound signature would be less to my liking. I'm looking forward to the sonic comparisons with the A implementation of the MX amp.... I guess your observation also some sense since the X was the flagship at the time, so the Z should be more akin to that.

Feb 18, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
i have had the A865 for quite a while now,  and while i got used to and love the different sound signature it has  than the previous x series and a845, i wish there would be more users discussing the little walkman, if only to see if they feel the same or different about the sound quality this little player pumps out.? also i live in the uk and alot of people have been unsure or have dissmised the player altogther, due to the previous player (A845) ridicioulus volume cap. While SONY is entirely to blame for this, i would really like to hear from someone who lives in the UK or the EU about the difference in volume loudness that iam hearing from this player compared to the a845? unfortunetly i think iam the only one who bought this player
triportsad.gif
 and while i dont regret buying it, i feel kind of sad and ronrey, that other members cant  discuss with me on the sound improvments? or dissapointments? than previous sony players. as i really do think that it is the best sony sounding walkman to date.

How is the volume on this UK version then? 

I was gearing up for the long anticipated Z series to replace my X1060 but some simple oversights by Sony on the new Z model and UK also getting stiffed on the 64gb version I am now contemplating getting the 64gb A series if Amp3 have stock left.  

This A series could tie me over until Sony bring out a worthy Z replacement next year! 

Just a shame the finish on the A series is not up to the X or Z series models. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back