Anyone else NOT like the G08? What ended up working for you?
May 27, 2005 at 12:39 AM Post #16 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by screwdriver
gopher ,

try out a high end naim cd player . it might be the signature sound you are looking for....

That's a good suggestion. Pace, Rhthym and general seats of pants sound. Although it may be fatiguing for some.

But the new naim I think it is the CDX3 or is it called the CDS3 is more forgiving and generally regarded as the better all round player although this is subjective to your taste's

May 27, 2005 at 1:10 AM Post #17 of 35
I have the current entry-level Naim CD player. It sounds fantastic! Very little grit, much rhythmic drive and a liquid organic sound. But be warned, at least for my CD player, it takes a minimum of 2-3 months to run-in, in order to get a real indication of it's capability. Furthermore, if you switch it off, even after running in, it will take a minimum of 2 weeks swtiched-on continuously to get back the fullness of PRaT and some liquidity. It's only 4-5 weeks in total, that it approaches its full potential. And I would still say, approaches!!!

I know some people might think I'm off the planet - that I am hearing things. My friend has an identical main system to me, and he agrees completely. I'm sure other Naimees would agree too. Best to leave a Naim system switched-on indefinitely (minus electrical storms!)

So, go for a naim CD player. I find that in the end, for myself, it is the rightness of timing, pace, dynamics and pitch accuracy that satisfies long haul.

All the best!

May 27, 2005 at 7:55 PM Post #19 of 35
Thanks everyoen for the advice thus far. I've definitely got some stuff to further investigate while I'm in New York.

Redwings,

The Wadia you mention sounds very exciting, but its already tapping my theoretical budget (the theory being I allocate speaker money to source) in stock form--the modified version is totally unreachable at this point. I would like to investigate the stock unit though.

Sd/cans,

Thanks for the Naim recos--I've been curious about their players for a long time... honestly, the one hesitation I have is that I'm sort of married to my interconnects and am uncomfortable having to go with their connections and also would rather not use an adapter. I'll have to do some listenign though and see if my ears confirm my fear.

Immt,

Did you prefer your cary to the G08?

Recstar,

Thats a very well thought out response. I think you may be on to somethign with that assessment.

digi,

Nope--I haven't heard any Linn players yet, but am not opposed to the idea. I'll give a look online when a get a chance to see if they have a dealer near me.

Thanks everyone.

May 27, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #20 of 35
Gopher...There are a bunch of Wadia's for sale on AudioGon.
Here's one example:
http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1121970127

1116177282.jpg

I can't honestly say if I liked my Cary more or less than the G08. I lost a lot of sleep on that one (selling the Cary to fund the Meridian). But I definitely like the DV-50 better than the G08, with Redbook, and it's a huge plus that it is a Universal player, but the price is almost double, so it's not a fair comparison. That, and it doubles as my livingroom multichannel (SACD...DVD-Audio), and home theater (DTS-ES and DD 5.1) speaker source makes it worth it's weight in gold. It weighs close to 50lbs. I also have the balanced outputs going to headphone amps for intimate listening sessions.

May 28, 2005 at 5:01 AM Post #21 of 35
Hi Gopher,

The new Naim CD players have both DIN and RCA outputs that you can switch on and off via the remote control - DIN only, RCA only or DIN & RCA together (although not recommended sonically)!

So you can use your interconnects of your choice!

Hope this info helps.

May 28, 2005 at 5:07 AM Post #22 of 35
Gopher> Here are some other suggestions you might want to try within your price range.

Mark Levinson 390s upsampling with digital volume control.
Audio Note tube based but might be too tubey for your taste's.

dcs elgar/purcell dac/upsampler I found it too smooth so it might apply to you. Has digital volume control

IIRC you had a Nuvistor wasn't it? I don't think the Tri-vista would offer much more arguably.

May 28, 2005 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 35
Gopher,

cansman is right; apparently Naim has begun adding RCA outputs to their latest models:

http://www.naim-audio.com/products/cd5i.html

I am also curious about upgrading from my Rega Planet, however a multi-1000 dollar player is completely out of reach for me. That's why am eyeing the CD5i.

BTW: With the Rega Planet's huge popularity - has anyone ever heard of modded units?

Cheers,

Matthias

May 28, 2005 at 10:15 AM Post #24 of 35
Mattigol,

The Rega Planet is fantastic. I think Jan Meier likes it as well. I have personally heard it and I think it's truly great. But the CD5i is the next step up. I think it is truly outstanding, at any price. Certainly, the lack of grit and the rhythm and pace is class leading - bettering most CD players in the price range, and many beyond. My friend sold off his Rega Jupiter and bought the CD5i!

Regards.

May 28, 2005 at 11:48 AM Post #25 of 35
I owned the Meridian 508.24 (boring) and spent time with the G08 (boring) before passing on it in favor of the Cary 306/200. I really couldnt find anything wrong, just could not get into either of them. If you want a player that can get you going in the 2K used market the 306/200 is hard to beat.

All that said...save your money and get an Audio aero capitole MKII or the new SE versions of it or the Prima DAC. The SE version DAC with a good transport is cleaner and more dynamic than the stock MKII. (ive owned both) When the Prima hit, my turntable left. The Prima CDP's (not to be confused with the Prima dac) are not anywhere in the same league as either of these other AA digital products.

May 28, 2005 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
I owned the Meridian 508.24 (boring) and spent time with the G08 (boring) before passing on it in favor of the Cary 306/200. I really couldnt find anything wrong, just could not get into either of them. If you want a player that can get you going in the 2K used market the 306/200 is hard to beat.

All that said...save your money and get an Audio aero capitole MKII or the new SE versions of it or the Prima DAC. The SE version DAC with a good transport is cleaner and more dynamic than the stock MKII. (ive owned both) When the Prima hit, my turntable left. The Prima CDP's (not to be confused with the Prima dac) are not anywhere in the same league as either of these other AA digital products.

Does Prima SE DAC have remote volume control?

And what kind of differences between Prima SE and 306/200 DAC sections?

I agree 306/200 is a great machine, but some will prefer tubes. Just wondering if Prima SE can do the tube magic while matching 306/200's detail resolution and bass tautness..

May 28, 2005 at 10:00 PM Post #27 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon L
Does Prima SE DAC have remote volume control?

And what kind of differences between Prima SE and 306/200 DAC sections?

I agree 306/200 is a great machine, but some will prefer tubes. Just wondering if Prima SE can do the tube magic while matching 306/200's detail resolution and bass tautness..

The Prima SE uses the Stars 24/192 bit dac. The Prima SE (nobody get offended) makes the Cary sound like mud!! Dynamics in a whole different league. First time you switch between them you notice how much cleaner and more focused the Prima SE is. Greater detail, much tighter and more detailed bass, more extention, air and sparkle in the treble with NEVER sounding etchy or grainy. Plus the fullness and texture in the midrange that I'm sure is the effect of the tubes. Until the Prima SE I was in love with the Capitole MKII. The Prima with the SCD-1 as transport and using a Siltech Golden ridge G5 digital cable is the most "musical" source I have heard.
Yes the DAC also has a digital volume control and full preamp capabuility. There is a review at www.6moons.com on the stock Prima and a little comparison near the end with the SE version.
I know this sounds like I am ragging the Cary...I'm not. Just a much higher level of music reprodution with the AA.

Jun 4, 2005 at 8:59 PM Post #28 of 35
Well, I got my GO8 in yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, as I have always been a bit skeptical about high end CD players. Much to my delight, I was definitely wrong. I did some direct comparisons against a standard transport running through the X-DAC v3 and the differences were much more significant than I would have expected. While both DACs upsample, the G08 was smoother and more natural sounding. Furthermore, separation between instruments was more noticeable and each instrument had a more robust presentation.

I can't wait to hook this puppy up to the G57 and EAR 864. The G08 is definitely pleasing to my ears and well worth the money spent. Hopefully I will feel the same way about the G57, EAR 864 and EAR V20. This site continues to lead me down paths that have me spending more money on audio equipment than I would have previously considered. My wife thanks you all.

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #29 of 35
“PRAT and boogie factor”

That sounds like a NAIM CD Player alright. I get happy feet every time I listen to my NAIM CD5x.

It’s nice to see there’s a small but enthusiastic group of NAIM users developing. Kuma has some awesome NAIM gear.

The interesting thing is (except for the entry-level player CD5i) you can ad an external power supply so there is an upgrade path available, Flat-Cap, Hi-Cap, Super-Cap, Super Frigg’in Ungodly Priced Cap.

There’s a guy selling a Hi-Cap locally that I’ll get if I was first to respond. I’m waiting to hear back from him now.

Yes they have switchable outputs so you can use your current RCA interconnects. The players come with their own interconnects (DIN Based) and many people feel they sound the best. It’s nice in the sense that the entire system was engineered on a system level. NAIM even recommends using the power cord supplied with the units.

There’s no digital outputs though only DIN and RCA.

Try to give them a listen it’s well worth the time.

Mitch

Jun 5, 2005 at 4:40 AM Post #30 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleestack
Well, I got my GO8 in yesterday. I wasn't expecting much, as I have always been a bit skeptical about high end CD players. Much to my delight, I was definitely wrong.

If you like it now, just wait until that puppy has a couple of hundred hours on it!
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back