anyone else listening to Brett Anderson? (Suede, The Tears)
May 30, 2007 at 7:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bong

Headphoneus Supremus
yeah yeah yeah... i know i may be Head-Fi's biggest Suede fan, but even i was reluctant to pick up Brett Anderson's solo debut. it doesn't help that none of his and related releases hasn't been released in the US since Head Music in 1999, and it costs me a small fortune to keep his discography complete in my collection.

but i digress... Brett Anderson's solo record has been getting very mixed reviews, from glowing praises by some critics to others wishing him a quick and painless death. listening to it, i guess i wasn't expecting anything extraordinary but it's surprising quite good. it's nothing like Suede or The Tears, but a very laid back, introspective, cozy, and pseudo-orchestrated album. something seems missing as one would expect flourishes of guitar like Suede or The Tears, but the songs are very stripped down with Brett playing most of the acoustic and electric stuff himself.

what really comes out is his voice. while age and excess may have taken a toll on his voice (especially around A New Morning), his singing here is pure and honest with nary a trace of his trademark melodrama (or maybe he can't hit those falsetto notes anymore).

anyway, it's a very solid record, with no fillers save maybe "Ebony." choice tracks are "Love is Dead," "Dust and Rain," "To the Winter," and "Song For My Father." some of the lyrics are good, some bad; there's loads of Brett-isms abound but i suppose that's Brett's charm... there's nothing as cringeworthy as "Savoir Faire" though. one comment i can make is that most of the songs travel on the same tempo, hence some critics calling it a boring record but most of them were comparing it to Suede or even The Tears, but judging on it's own i quite like Brett Anderson's solo debut.

oh, and in traditional Suede fashion, the B-Sides off both "Love is Dead" CD singles are amazing; especially "Clowns" and "We Can Be Anyone."

it's been reported that Brett recorded this album simultaneously as The Tears, and to be fair i hope Anderson/Butler will produce another Tears record, but for now i'll take what i can get.

May 31, 2007 at 12:49 PM Post #2 of 8
Interesting, I am listening to Brett Anderson but from Dog Man Star...

I may have to check this out. One of my friends is (and as a fan of Suede I feel I can say this) an Anderson/Butler tragic so is sure to have a copy. Thanks for an interesting review!

Jun 1, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #3 of 8
the Brett Anderson solo album is good, but just don't expect anything close to Suede. much like Bernard Butler's solo albums didn't sound remotely like Suede. he does have a surprising angelic voice though.

strangely enough, The Tears does sound like Suede; almost as if Coming Up would sound if they didn't split... it's like the third Suede record in a parrallel universe. i do hope they make another Tears album but apparantly Independiente dropped them after two Top40 singles ("Refugees" reaching an impressive #9 on the UK charts) and a successful Top20 album.

Jun 1, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the Brett Anderson solo album is good, but just don't expect anything close to Suede. much like Bernard Butler's solo albums didn't sound remotely like Suede. he does have a surprising angelic voice though.

strangely enough, The Tears does sound like Suede; almost as if Coming Up would sound if they didn't split... it's like the third Suede record in a parrallel universe. i do hope they make another Tears album but apparantly Independiente dropped them after two Top40 singles ("Refugees" reaching an impressive #9 on the UK charts) and a successful Top20 album.

Strangely, I said the exact same thing about Here Come the Tears. Coming Up being the only post Bernard album I enjoy. I had assumed the Independiente drop was mutual, as Bernard has another solo album in the works, too.

Sadly, my favorite Tears songs (Europe After the Rain, Berlin) were ones they wrote just before hiatus.

edit: On Love is Dead...it got some local play as the single of the week in Austin. However, Mr. Anderson's voice isn't nearly as good as it was on HCTT.

Oct 18, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 8
I had the suddenly felt like listening to Suede the other day after not hearing them for a while. I was wondering if anything else ever came out. I saw Suede CDs at a Tower records here in the US as London Suede and thought that was interesting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back