Anyone else listening on their Palm?
Feb 26, 2004 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

steevc

Head-Fier
I bought a Zire 71 last year to replace my old IIIx. This gained me colour, a basic camera, expandable memory and of course a headphone output. I got myself a 256MB SD card mainly for music use.

Initially I used the RealOne software. It does the job, but has limitations. One advantage is that it can get files onto the card much faster than the normal Hotsync. Useful if you don't have a card reader.

I've used it in various places including the car via my Blaupunkt's aux in. Unfortunately I need to boost the volume way up on the BP to hear it. Those traffic warnings come through V. loud.

I'm currently using Aeroplayer. The volume boost makes it very loud on phones, but still a bit low in the car.

Generally I find it sounds good. I'm using the crappy buds from my Napa MP3/CD that now gathers dust. I plan to invest in something better very soon.

I'm thinking of trying OGG for the next CDs I rip. I've been using MP3 around the 128kb range up to now. Maybe OGG will let me fit a bit more music on the card without losing quality.

I know people will say I could buy a dedicated player for the price of a memory card, but I like travelling light and keeping the number of gadgets down.

One issue I have yet to solve is the carrying case. I have a Belkin wallet that also holds my cash and cards, but it tends to push the buttons and drain the battery. I'm thinking of modifying the case to prevent this.

Any other Palm listeners out there?

--
Steve

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:01 AM Post #2 of 5
yeah i have the 256 SD on my T2 and it sounds great with or without headphones.

but i want to store more music so i opted for a iPod instead
biggrin.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 7:19 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally posted by steevc
Any other Palm listeners out there?

hand_over_ears.jpg

I had thought about this in the past but I couldn't find a reliable way to connect a powered external portable USB HD-drive to a PDA. If this were possible and the sound quality was good I might think about it. Instead I think that a small notebook (iBook) with a Sonica would be a bigger but good alternative.
280smile.gif

Feb 27, 2004 at 2:37 PM Post #4 of 5
I find that 5 hours is enough for most trips. If I'm travelling for work I have a laptop that can store plenty more and a handy sync/charge/card reader cable.

I've seen there's 1GB SD cards coming
smily_headphones1.gif
Bit expensive at first, but then so were 256MB to start with.

--
Steve

Feb 27, 2004 at 3:29 PM Post #5 of 5
I have and iPaq 1945. Music is good and has good volume. But the MP3's take up a lot of space. I have a 128mb SD card in it, and that's not really enough for music, just my backups, data, and audiobooks and such.

If I had a 512mb card, I could put a couple of albums in it.

Battery life not that good, only 3 or 4 hours listening to music. But I can get a spare battery for it.

For my portable listening I use Sony minidisc players or Nomad Zen Xtra 40gb. Sometimes with older TAH.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back