Anyone Else Like their Canalphones over their Headphones?
Oct 13, 2005 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Stangs55

100+ Head-Fier
I've gotta admit, I like my ER-6i's and my UM2's more than my HD650's and my HF-1's. There's really nothing like the sound of a canalphone, it goes beyond just soundstage....it's like the music is literally inside your head. You can feel it at the base of your skull. In my opinion, nothing I've really heard is as immersive as good canalphones.

Anyone else? Or am I just plain ignorant?
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:09 AM Post #2 of 38
Obviously, both have their advantages, but dollar for dollar, a good $300 headphone (like the DT880) is always going to win over a comparably priced IEM (like the E4C or UM2). For me, it's the quality of the sound; IEMs haven't quite caught up to headphones yet (I've never tried the UE10), though the past few years have seen some real strides.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 38
I dunno, in some ways I almost prefer my ER-6 to my HD600. In some ways. If I were to compare my HD600 out of my Millet to a pair of ER-4Ps unamped from my 1212m, I would probably choose the 4Ps. I guess I like that cold, transparent kind of sound.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:15 AM Post #4 of 38
IEM's sound a lot cleaner due to its isolation. even in my room, the noise of the wind outside is enough to degrade my music quality. there is also that in-your-head feel, which is very desirable once you get used to it. but my grado blows away all my IEMs in bass. i've never tried the UE-10 either though.

that said, some of my IEM's are actually punchier than my grado even though their bass don't extend as low.

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:41 AM Post #7 of 38
The poll may be a little biased as in the topic is more attractive to IEM users than headphone users.

With that aside, I give another vote to the IEM bandwagon with my UE super.fi 5 pros. I love the isolation making them easier to hear details even in loud environments, and also how the seal eliminates leakage almost completely. That way I can turn it up even late at night or in the library and not disturb others. I love the portability factor and the fact that they are also very modest looking compared to almost all bulky high-end headphones. I don't know about anyone else but I'm not exactly trying to advertise my audiophile rig to everyone on campus... I also find them extremely comfortable to the point of barely noticeable when I'm wearing them, granted that I get a proper seal. Anyways, a toast to IEM love! I'm still coming for ya UE-10 Pros!!!

Oct 13, 2005 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 38
The only canalphones I own are The Plug, that sucks. I prefer playing bass to listening to.
tongue.gif

In Russia, we tell "the pedestrian is always right, until he's dead"
eek.gif
, so any benefits of good isolation fade away...

Oct 13, 2005 at 5:11 AM Post #9 of 38
my HD-600s just sounds more natural and spacious and well-extended than the er-6i. Of course, considering the price differential, the er-6i is punching well above its weight. However, for me the big sticking point is comfort. The Senns are nice and comfy and I can wear them all day. The etys get uncomfortable after a little while - even with foamies - so I would never choose it over full-size headphones.

Oct 13, 2005 at 8:38 AM Post #10 of 38
Yesterday I cought myself listening to my computer by using the Porta Corda III USB hooked up to my westone ES2's ... got blown away, those two together are so much fun, so good, loving every minute of them. The neat thing is that I can unhook the usb, hook in the iaudio m3 and still have that great sound!

Oct 13, 2005 at 9:09 AM Post #11 of 38
prefer canal phones myself

i think it all comes down the the type of phones u have
i have a failry crap headphone but my IEM are fantastic.
IEM also wions over portability but sometimes headphones looks cool going out

Oct 13, 2005 at 10:50 AM Post #12 of 38
between my e4c and my ms1, the ms1 wins hands down, while my e4c sound great, they cannot tollerate bad recordings (most black or death metal is really badly mastered) and sux for these, and the ms1 are much more engaging.

Oct 13, 2005 at 11:01 AM Post #13 of 38
Ive aways perfered inear type headphoned - Im a pro musician and used to having the sound quite direct - an sounds different when you are sitting in it rather than at the back of a concert hall - inear's sound like you are closer and I perfere that!

BTW people moan about detail lacking in cannal phones - but the honest truth is that a pair of UM2's give as much detail you going to get in a live concert in a nomal hall - other head phones boast detail to levels that you will never hear in real life conditions.

Oct 13, 2005 at 12:13 PM Post #15 of 38
I'm split down the middle on this one: I love the portability and isolation if IEMs, but at my budget levels I don't think that IEMs can necessarily keep pace with "real" headphones.

I dunno--I voted 'both', because I see relative strengths and weaknesses in each pair that I own and use (E4/HF-1). For me, my preference is situational as much as anything, I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back