Anyone else here phobic ?
Jan 11, 2006 at 2:58 AM Post #61 of 85
This is one of the funniest threads I have read in a long time!!

First - Heights. Although within the last year I have set up an antenna on my roof for HD reception, and kind of got over it. It's fun to watch people stare at me as they drive by.

Also, I have a fear of not setting the alarm properly.

I'm petrified I'll screw it up and be late for work (although I wouldn't really be in trouble if I was.)

I'll set the alarm, go to bed, and 5 or 10 minutes later I'm laying there wondering if I set it right or even at all. So, I put my glasses on, look at the display (it's across the room, so I have to get up to turn it off in the morning) and try to determine if it's on. Sometimes I have to get up and recheck the whole dang thing. I can't sleep unless I'm sure it's all good.

All this drives my wife nuts.

Jan 11, 2006 at 3:46 AM Post #62 of 85
I thought of another one!

GARBAGE DISPOSALS.

I mean, seriously.
When I drop a spoon down the sink, I'm afraid that it's going to suddenly turn on and send peices of twisted spoon flying into my eyes or throat.

frown.gif

So I usually gab it super-fast before the INEVITABLE freak power surge strikes and said situation happens.

Jan 11, 2006 at 5:18 AM Post #63 of 85
My brother has a pretty irrational fear of spiders. (He's 14, so young, but not young enough to not label this a phobia)

It is not uncommon for him to have his torch out before he goes to sleep scanning his room and especially around his bed. If he finds one all hell breaks loose.

He leaves the room as quick as possible, and will only enter again trailing someone else (and half hiding behind them). Someone else has to kill it, and then show him it did.

If you throw out a tissue claiming it was in their all dead like, he will complain saying that you are just saying that so that he will go to bed, and accuse us of not actually killing it. (someone our fault, there is the odd one or two that get away).

Even if we show him the dead spider though, you have to talk him into sleeping in his room that night.

Rob.

Jan 11, 2006 at 8:32 AM Post #64 of 85
i feel creepy when i learn that the person im talking to:
1> has/had a mental problem/disorder
2> is a homosexual

however those feelings don't apply to lesbians : P

Jan 11, 2006 at 6:47 PM Post #66 of 85
I do the alarm check thing. I always had it figured as part of having OCD. I always walk back thru the house a couple times before I leave to make sure nothing is out of place or on. Check the door locks. Go back to the car make sure the emergency brake is on.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #67 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by moj0
i feel creepy when i learn that the person im talking to:
1> has/had a mental problem/disorder
2> is a homosexual

however those feelings don't apply to lesbians : P

sorry, but i disagree. and i'm not trying to offend or make a big argument. but i seen a lot of people saying the same thing. i call that paranoia or prejudice.

just because someone is a homosexual or have bipolar or schizo they're not out to harm life or negatively influence the world. and being a homosexual doesnt mean a guy walk into a room and see another guy and automatically likes him.

Jan 12, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #68 of 85
OK, so my latest vomit story.... last night my company had a "holiday party" cos they're too cheap to spend money BEFORE Christmas (hey, that's consulting engineering for you. Next life, I'm working for Saachi And Saachi)...anyway the party was dying down and some of us were going on to a bar. I thought I'd take a quick wizz first. SOMEONE had tossed their cookies in one of the traps, and not too carefully either (max-9, were you in the Met-Life building NYC last night ??) Anyhoo, it was a busy little part of the world and one of my buddies came in to the bathroom and the only choice he had was to go into the make-shift vomitarium. He then gave us a complete rundown as to what he thought the contents were ! We all laughed !! Including me... if, however, I'd been there when the vomiter was doing his thing, I would have FREAKED and run out, probably very pale, and gone home ! Instead I went out and got more drunk...

Jan 12, 2006 at 4:34 AM Post #70 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
I fear for females in my vicinity due to how powerfully handsome I am.

I can understand why looking at your avatar!
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2006 at 6:06 PM Post #72 of 85
Hey Julz,

I am a recovering emetophobe. I am also acrophobic. I think I have almost resolved my fear of barfing, however. Your story sounds similar to mine.

I threw up when I was 8 years old as a result of a flu. Growing up I just wouldn't allow myself to throwup through willpower. In my 20s, when I drank too much, I wouldn't allow myself to throw up, and literally had the shakes/shivers all night a couple of times - obviously mild alcohol poisoning.

The phobia was there but not terribly bad until, at age 26, I got terrible food poisoning. I threw up every half hour for a whole day. Anything that went in came out. This brought on a huge bout of phobia. I did all the things you say you did for 2 years. Finally, as time went by (along with reducing my stress) I started getting better.

One trick I learned is to turn the "what if" statements into true statements. For instance, when going to the movies, instead of taking an aisle seat ("what if I need to throw up"), I would say to myself "I will need to throw up." Now think: how many times have I needed to throw up at the movies, and why would I even need to throw up right now? Then of course, I realized that the fear was irrational and not worth worrying about.

The other thing I figured out was that in my case, it was about control. Throwing up is the ultimate loss of bodily control. Your body does something that you cannot stop and you are totally helpless. I always believed that I had an iron will and that I could control anything, especially my own body. Once I threw up as a result of food poisoning, I felt that if I couldn't control my own body, then I couldn't control anything. I felt helpless in the world. It has taken me a few years to rationalize that some things are out of my control - and more importantly, that that is OK.

GTP

Jan 12, 2006 at 7:50 PM Post #73 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp
One trick I learned is to turn the "what if" statements into true statements. For instance, when going to the movies, instead of taking an aisle seat ("what if I need to throw up"), I would say to myself "I will need to throw up." Now think: how many times have I needed to throw up at the movies, and why would I even need to throw up right now? Then of course, I realized that the fear was irrational and not worth worrying about.

The other thing I figured out was that in my case, it was about control. Throwing up is the ultimate loss of bodily control. Your body does something that you cannot stop and you are totally helpless. I always believed that I had an iron will and that I could control anything, especially my own body. Once I threw up as a result of food poisoning, I felt that if I couldn't control my own body, then I couldn't control anything. I felt helpless in the world. It has taken me a few years to rationalize that some things are out of my control - and more importantly, that that is OK.

GTP

Best advice in the thread! I learned about the what if's and that how I got over my first bout with anxiety, but I still had this sense that I had 'beaten' it and was in control. The second bout is now slowly fading and partly because I've been realizing that at times I'll have anxiety issues, but that doesn't mean I'll be like that all the time and I'm not 'out of control' when I'm anxious. I go to work and everything and nobody really knows but me, they prob just think I'm a little tense and I just say I'm stressed out (which is true
smily_headphones1.gif
).

As for the dude scared of gays and people with disorders, it's prob because you're afraid that it'll 'rub off' on you. Pretty common actually. As long as you're not discriminatory or anything like that don't stress it. With the exception of hardcore schitzophenics you got nothing to worry about, but living in San Francisco with a massive homeless population even the hardcore schitzos are pretty harmless, as loud and freaky as they can be 99% their aggression is aimed at their invisible friends
wink.gif

--Illah

Jan 13, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #74 of 85
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
sorry, but i disagree. and i'm not trying to offend or make a big argument. but i seen a lot of people saying the same thing. i call that paranoia or prejudice.

say paranoia but not prejudice : )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back