Anyone else having durability issues with Sleek Audio SA6?
Jun 28, 2008 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Bull Moose

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm regretfully reporting what I hope for the sake of Sleek Audio is an isolated incident limited to my own experience. I bought the SA6s in mid-March and LOVE their sound. Well about a month after buying them I noticed that one of the phones sounded different from the other in a way that is difficult to explain. At first I thought I had damaged the hearing in one of my ears, but upon taking off the eartips and pulling out the treble tubes I discovered that one of them was cracked, resulting in the sound difference (and made me happy to see that I was not going deaf!).

Anyways, fast forward to today, June 28th, I had a similar problem that started early this past week and I pulled out the treble tubes to notice that both of them were cracked this time and also one of them had broken into small fragments that I had to painstakingly dig out from the inside of the tube that houses the dynamic driver. I'm not sure whether to demand replacement tubes from the company since I have a feeling that this is a problem that will keep happening. I do not, repeat, do not abuse my earphones, but merely wear them several times a week to enjoy music so I don't feel that this problem is a result of my own mishandling of the SA6's.

So have any of you had a similar problem, or is just my own unforunate situation. I absolutely love these things, but I must admit that the whole replaceable parts gimmick doesn't seem like as much of an advantage if they break every couple of months...

Thanks in advance for any advice guys!

Jun 28, 2008 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you change the treble tips often? I've heard this issue from other users who change the tips too often. As well, have you been using Sleek's tip remover, or with your fingers? Sleek's tip remover supposedly is more gentle at removing the tip.

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 8
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll shoot him an email and let y'all know what happens. And no, I haven't been using the tip remover, since one was not provided when I purchased mine. Also, I noticed that it didn't take much force to remove the treble tubes this time, which definitely concerns me...

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Sleek Audio's customer service is great, but what should not happen is trouble right from the gate, which I've seen from many Head-Fi'ers, myself included.

When I first got my SA6, one side did not work, regardless of which cable side was plugged into it. Jason told me that it was a very small percentage, this problem, but I still hear of issues of this from people who just bought it, or it dies on them within a month or so.

And to me, the SA6 is warm beyond any realism, so they just aren't my cup of tea.
wink.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #6 of 8
@Bull Moose, about that treble tip, make sure you push it in so you hear/feel it "click" twice in.

Hopefully you can nab a tube remover soon, because one time, a tip was so stubbornly in there it took me 10 minutes to extract it, and it gave my fingers deep blisters. Hurt like hell, and frustrated me even more.
mad.gif

Jun 28, 2008 at 7:54 PM Post #7 of 8
TheMarchingMule, I actually had the SAME exact problem one time. It frustrated the hell out of me namely since I spend about an hour a day lifting weights but yet I couldn't remove a tiny piece of plastic from my earphones...it was not only frustrating but also a blow to my self-esteem
biggrin.gif

On a related note, I've owned the Westone UM2s and they didn't give me ANY problems for about 2 years so this is quite frustrating for me after only three months of use. Are there any other IEMs you would recommend in this range? Thanks!

Jun 28, 2008 at 8:22 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I first got my SA6, one side did not work, regardless of which cable side was plugged into it.

My earpieces both worked for a very short time before the left one started breaking up on me. I switched it over to the other cable and it did the same thing. Having established it was the earpiece and not the cable, Jason was really quick to respond and I had a new one delivered to the UK less than 48 hours later. I really couldn't have asked for a better, (or faster) customer service than that.

I thought (initially), that mine was a one-off issue, but I now realise that it wasn't. I sent mine back eventually because I couldn't get a 100% good seal, and I yearned for a bit more bass (which wasn't possible to achieve with a Zune that had no EQ). But I'm surprised there are still people having problems with them. Could it be just normal teething issues for a new company? I wouldn't know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back