Anyone else have a pop-punk guilty pleasure?
Aug 10, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #16 of 33
Blink 182-Small Things
Jimmy Eat World-Middle

I think its more nostalgia (these two songs remind me of high school) that keeps these songs in my collection, and less them being a guilty pleasure.

Aug 10, 2007 at 2:44 PM Post #17 of 33
"Goat" by The Jesus Lizard remains a favorite.
Iggy Pop live on King Biscuit Flour Hour is another!
Group Sounds from Rocket from the Crypt and Understand by Naked Raygun

Aug 11, 2007 at 11:00 AM Post #18 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Masonjar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jimmy Eat World.

I love CLARITY. classic.

Clarity was my favorite album when I went through my soft-music phase. Bleed American is pretty good. Futures is just eh.

On topic...
There's Anberlin, The Ataris (pre-2003), Copeland, Mae, Spitalfield. Ahh, the pleasures of being a teenager..

Aug 11, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Know Talent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"Goat" by The Jesus Lizard remains a favorite.

I like Goat a lot too, although I am not sure I would classify that as pop punk. More like noise punk or some variation on hardcore.

For myself, Saosin has become somewhat of a guilty pleasure. I listened to the black EP they made for a while and liked it, but then heard some of their full length and realized that it truly was pop punk and that I should be hiding the CD behind my These Arms Are Snakes and Playing Enemy stuff.

Aug 11, 2007 at 8:00 PM Post #20 of 33
I won't call my enjoyment of pop punk a guilty pleasure, because it's just a form of music like any other. Nothing inferior or superior about it. Anyway, there are quite a few pop punk bands I like. Green Day's probably my favorite. Jimmy Eat World's Bleed American has some fantastic songs in the first half. My Chemical Romances newest album is quite good, too. You might be thinking "ewww, an MCR fan," but they're head and shoulders above almost every popular rock group at the moment. Plus, a heavy Queen influence in some songs, so that can't be all bad.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 12, 2007 at 5:50 AM Post #22 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by appophylite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Blink 182-Small Things
Jimmy Eat World-Middle

I think its more nostalgia (these two songs remind me of high school) that keeps these songs in my collection, and less them being a guilty pleasure.

Exact same for me
icon10.gif
much more for for nostalgia than anything else as well.

Aug 13, 2007 at 6:10 AM Post #23 of 33
Guilty indeed:
MCR's "Astro Zombies" is a very catchy song to say the least.
Some people call Goldfinger pop-punk and they're one of my favorite bands.
Green Day's "Dookie" will always be one of my favorite albums no matter how sick I get of hearing it.
I enjoy listening to American Idiot even if it is so different from their other stuff, but only take it for what it is: A punk opera.

Aug 13, 2007 at 1:37 PM Post #24 of 33
Does Billy Talent count?

I listen to a LOT of different music and lot of it of it in this category, and he is one of the best vocalist I have heard (in this category).

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #25 of 33
a buddy of mine has a half drunk bottle of water that once belonged to Henry Rollins...howz that for guilty?

Aug 14, 2007 at 9:44 AM Post #26 of 33
Some bands that I love include:

A day at the fair
Alkaline Trio
Bowling For Soup
New found glory
Saves the day
The starting line
The new amsterdams
Nightmare Of You

Great bands, but unfortunatly it's really hard to get these CDs over here, even if I manage to track them down, they're around $20+ a pop, I bought the Motion City Soundtrack's Commit this to memory for around $22. That's daylight robbery.

Aug 14, 2007 at 3:41 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by nagal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
XTC were some of the first punk-poppers, I don't like that sound as much as their newer stuff... but, it would be a guilty pleasure every once and a while!

But XTC has never been punk. They deliberately tried not to sound punk.

I still put on the Sex Pistols on occasion but not very often.

Aug 15, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #30 of 33
I guess pop-punk refers to this new pseudo punk we have now days. I don't like any of that stuff much. Punk to me is the real thing or nothing. Pop-punk is punk for girly-men.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back