Anyone else getting a new computer ?
Nov 30, 2008 at 1:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

larryminator

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey I just bought my first desktop PC to replace my 6 years old (!!!) laptop. It's an HTPC and I'll use it as an high-end audio source and for movies and blu-ray player. I'm so excited to get the parts and get everything assembled!

Anyone else getting a new computer for christmas?

Here's my system:
Intel i7 920 processor with Nexus FLC-3000 cpu cooler
G.Skill DDR3-1600 6GB
Velociraptor 300gb
GTX 260 Core 216 graphic card
Onkyo SE200PCI LTD soundcard
OCZ ModXStream 600 PSU
Silverstone Grandia GD01 case

I hope everything fits in
wink.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #3 of 39
With so many top-of-the-line (or near) components in there, you may want to do better than the OCZ ModXStream PSU. I was going to buy this same PSU on a sale, but the reviews and stress tests changed my mind. And its noise may bother you for HT application.... Of course, if you put it in a cupboard than it doesn't bother you
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 30, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 39
I agree with parrot about the PSU, should change that one man. Oh btw make sure you set you disable NCQ "Native Command Queuing (NCQ) should not be used on desktop system. If enabled, you are likely to see a decrease in performance. The only situation where NCQ will help is on a server with a lot of disk access from multiple processes".

Most importantly choose the correct cluster size!

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 39
For the PSU I checked and I should be ok with 600W. I don't have a SLI system and only 1 HD for the moment.

Review are also pretty good for this PSU. It's pretty quiet and gives power. Anyway, I got a "budget" and I think I prefer to get the best components and an OK PSU than going for less better components and awesome PSU. It'll make the job, nothing more.

Yeah I'm buying this CPU for the next 6 years so yes it gotta be good
biggrin.gif
And it's for gaming a little also
wink.gif
It's an high-end HTPC.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #7 of 39
That looks like a beast. But will 300gb really be enough? I know the velociraptors are expensive too. I might get a supplementary drive for storage, or even just settle for a larger capacity non-velociraptor drive. And 6gb of ram?! holy crap, is that necessary? Well I suppose it could be, and it soon will be I'm sure.

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #8 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by larryminator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Review are also pretty good for this PSU. It's pretty quiet and gives power. Anyway, I got a "budget" and I think I prefer to get the best components and an OK PSU than going for less better components and awesome PSU. It'll make the job, nothing more.

I haven't looking into this particular PSU, however when ever I'm building a new PC which I generally do every 2 or 3 years I always ensure I get a quality PSU. I used to use similar logic in thinking all the PSU are the same, this is totally untrue its scary, cheap PSU not only dont output their quoted wattage but they also have a tendency to "explode", maybe not literally but I've had a PSU blow up and it took out almost every component in my computer with it. In terms of life span PSU are generally the first to go and what goes with it depends on the quality of the PSU, when quality PSU break they dont take other components with them however for cheap PSU its a hit and miss.

My 2cents

Nov 30, 2008 at 5:54 AM Post #9 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuryan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks like a beast. But will 300gb really be enough? I know the velociraptors are expensive too. I might get a supplementary drive for storage, or even just settle for a larger capacity non-velociraptor drive. And 6gb of ram?! holy crap, is that necessary? Well I suppose it could be, and it soon will be I'm sure.

Well, the problem is that i7 comes with only two different RAM size selections that have triple channel support -- 3 GB and 6 GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back