Anyone else get under-ear/jaw/parotid gland discomfort/pain with over-ear headphones?
Dec 21, 2023 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kofman13

New Head-Fier
Most over-ear headphones give me really bad discomfort in this area. i would describe it as the spot where the jaw meets the ear. Some people say its because there are a lot of nerves there. some people say it presses on the Parotid gland in that area which produces saliva. Different headphones give me this at varying levels. i own 4 pairs of over ear headphones and they all do this to some extent. the ones with firmer foam or overall smaller size/more clamp give it more obviously. I know it's not normal as i know people wear these popular headphones for hours a day with no issues. But for me i guess im so sensitive that wearing them even for 1 hour or 30 minutes will give me the sensation for half a day.

Bose QC-35II, AKG K702, Astro A40 TR gen 2, and now my latest headphone, Slate VSX is the worst offender. It has very thick pads that are angled/have a sharp corner drop off. not curved. thousands of people use them for hours a day its a very popular headphone. and its small overall for me. I will have soreness in this area even after using them for 10 minutes. if i use them for 30 or 60 minutes, the soreness will last hours.

anyway, i guess im just venting and seeing if im the only one? I am a professional audio engineer/producer and i use headphones a lot so this issue has been such a burden for many years.

Dec 21, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #2 of 4
discomfort?
that word doesn't exist with my 109 pro

but maybe, iem's would be a better option for you?

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 4
anyway, i guess im just venting and seeing if im the only one?
No, you are not the only one,,,it recently happened to me with a couple of BT models I use at work for calls (a Philips series 9000 and another JBL that I do not remember).. It never happened to me before, with every over ear hps that I own I never felt any discomfort regardless the weight.
But it's exactly where you claim it, after a while it gets hard to bear it and gives me a sort of nausea as well..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back