Anyone Else Genuinely Look Forward to Tuesdays..?
Jun 10, 2008 at 8:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Pangaea

Headphoneus Supremus
I have been a fanatical music fan since I was a kid. I remember riding my bike for miles to buy CDs. And while I truly enjoy this hobby, for me it has always been about the music. I can always listen to it regardless of the gear.

Even as an 30 + adult I really look forward to Tuesday- even my wife knows to leave me alone as it is the Music Industry's "New Music Tuesday." Even though I rarely buy music from iTunes I enjoy perusing their store as its format is very appealing. When I find something I like I generally head over to Amazon and either order the CD or download the MP3. Even this morning I had the luxury of DL 2 great albums. Jakob Dylan and Solomon Burke (listening to both now- WOW!!) both put out great albums today. And next tuesday there will most likely be a few more to be excited about. For me it is one of life's simple joys.

Grados may be the gateway drug for most, but for me it has always been the music.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been a fanatical music fan since I was a kid. I remember riding my bike for miles to buy CDs. And while I truly enjoy this hobby, for me it has always been about the music. I can always listen to it regardless of the gear.

Even as an 30 + adult I really look forward to Tuesday- even my wife knows to leave me alone as it is the Music Industry's "New Music Tuesday." Even though I rarely buy music from iTunes I enjoy perusing their store as its format is very appealing. When I find something I like I generally head over to Amazon and either order the CD or download the MP3. Even this morning I had the luxury of DL 2 great albums. Jakob Dylan and Solomon Burke (listening to both now- WOW!!) both put out great albums today. And next tuesday there will most likely be a few more to be excited about. For me it is one of life's simple joys.

Grados may be the gateway drug for most, but for me it has always been the music.

Me!!!! I am the same way! (except I refuse to buy from iTunes) Every Tuesday I spend my lunch at a local independant music store. Today I got the new Fratellis, My Morning Jacket, and Flight of the Conchords.

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 16
I used to be all about Tuesday releases, but to be honest I haven't had the kind of time to pay attention to what day of the week it is anymore unless it's to know how far from friday it is.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #5 of 16
Last spring I went through a manic music purchasing phase (one of my many manic phases, including my current audio obsession). Going into a music store was like smoking crack for me; I couldn't get enough, and had to go every day. Tuesdays were generally the most interesting day of the week, but I gravitated toward the used stuff.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:17 AM Post #6 of 16
Confused...Tuesday?
Is that the typical release day in the US or something?

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #7 of 16
I really do; been stopping by retail for major label day and date deals for over a decade. Unfortunately the day has lost some luster. The new media, piracy has removed some of the mystique from Tuesday. Back when, the crowd was a-lot younger and hipper. Now in my part of the world, it's mostly a bunch of music nerd Gen X'ers like I who still buy discs.

Oh well, time and lifestyle march on.

Jun 11, 2008 at 2:31 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confused...Tuesday?

Yes, new music Tuesdays. New CD's are always out on Tuesdays and new vinyl releases as well, though they oftentimes are released weeks later than the CD, but still on Tuesdays.

I know I definitely look forward to Tuesdays. I went to two shops yesterday (I like to support as many independent shops as I can) and picked up the Old 97's blame it on gravity (excellent 180 gram RTI pressing from New West Records) and the new My Morning Jacket evil urges (which included a CD version of the release in the LP jacket!).

Jun 11, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Milner /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I got the new Fratellis, My Morning Jacket, and Flight of the Conchords.

So how is that new Fratellis? I got their first CD and almost tossed into the trash. But, I gave it several more listens (over an extended time) and I have to say they have grown on me. So, I'm curious what their new disc is like.

Jun 11, 2008 at 7:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I see. Not sure what release day it is over here. Thanx TimJo
smily_headphones1.gif

Nice avatar, btw.

Jun 11, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #11 of 16
I have only been through the new Fratelli's and MMJ a couple times each. Not real critical listening yet. Hopefully tonight I can put the freaks to bed and put the FreQs in for some listening
tongue.gif

So far I am liking both the Fratelli's is not quite as catchy as the first album, but seems a little more mature. MMJ- don't think I could ever be disapointed in a new album from them!!

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:46 PM Post #12 of 16
Nice to hear that so many support the local indie shops. Where I grew up in New England I had a lot of those options. Unfort. now I live in a small military town that could care less about music. Walmart is the best that I got, so most of my purchases come from Amazon, although I generally buy from the Vendors some of which are indie shops.

Jun 11, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by steviebee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Confused...Tuesday?

It's the typical release day for everything. Music, movies (on video that is, theater releases are on Friday), and video games come out on tuesdays. I don't know about print media.

Jun 11, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #14 of 16
In th UK it is as follows:
Movies in cinema are preview Thursday general release on Friday
Music on Monday
Videogames on Friday

Just general guide.....GTA IV came out on Tuesday

Jun 13, 2008 at 10:34 PM Post #15 of 16
I got My Morning Jacket in the mail today. Music seems strong, but does anyone else think the SQ is bad. I am usually pretty easy to please- I don't consider myself a true audiophile, but something about this recording does not sound right. Its not overly hot, but certain points distort and sound uneven. Maybe that is what they were going for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back