Anyone else find Westone 3 to be muddy/veiled/lacking sparkle/crispness? Is it my fit? My ears?
Mar 19, 2010 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jkozlow3

Head-Fier
I've had the Westone 3 since fall and honestly, I'm not a huge headphone listener to begin with. I use them mainly during air travel and have used the large gray silicone sleeves as well as the triple-flange tips with the stalk trimmed down to the largest flange. I get a good seal with either, and these are in fact the only tips that I *can* get a good seal with (Comply and others just don't seem to do it).

Recently, I purchased a bunch of popular full-sized cans on Amazon to try out, mainly because I want to start using them for movies so that I'm not disturbing my neighbors (townhouse) as much with the thunderous bass from my subwoofer.

Anyway, after doing some comparisons between the full-sized cans (i.e. Beyer DT880, Senn HD555/595, etc) and my Westone 3, I realized that they Westones don't have anywhere NEAR as much sparkle/crispness in their highs (same source used for both). I switched between the gray silicone and triple-flange tips again, and either way, they sound very veiled in comparison to the full-sized cans.

I find this a bit odd for a phone that many regard as being siblant (which I never once thought of them as being). Is it my fit? The shape of my ear canals??

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 10
Definitely a fit or ear canal shape problem. While I know many people hate them, I can only achieve optimum sound with the larger complys. Nothing compares IMHO. I hear a recessed midrange and slight siblance with the flex sleeves and while I can get a great seal with the flange tips, it seems to mute the highs and sound slightly congested. With the complys I find the W3 better than any other IEM in my profile by a pretty wide margin.

Mar 19, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...while I can get a great seal with the flange tips, it seems to mute the highs and sound slightly congested.

Yeah, this is how both the triple-flange and & gray silicone tips sound for me, although perhaps a bit more than "slightly" congested.

FYI, I did try the UM56 tips and gave up after several refittings (could never achieve a good seal 100% of the time) and I remember the audiologist saying that I had very narrow ear canals. However, I think my outer opening must be quite large as I need the large gray silicone in order to create a seal.

I'm wondering if my narrow openings cause the triple-flange sound tube to squish together, narrowing it and reducing the highs. I'm not sure I have a theory as to why the gray silicone sound very similar though. I get a very good seal with plenty of bass with either, but I'm now realizing the highs are definitely lacking.

Maybe I'll try the Complys again. Ugh.

Mar 20, 2010 at 12:55 AM Post #4 of 10
Honestly, muddy is the last word I would use to describe the W3s. Maybe the UE10s
bigsmile_face.gif
, but certainly not these.

I agree with Spyro, I would try the Comply's they worked best for me too.

Mar 20, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 10
I'm finding the same thing as the OP, except with the Westone 2. The highs just don't compare with those of my Sextetts. I don't want to use the complys, as I am likely going to be selling these when my Coppers come in (ordered the W2 first, then jumped on the Copper deal before they arrived.)

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 10
WOW! So I just experimented with the Complys again and...WOW!

I was getting an amazing seal with the triple-flange with gobs of bass but almost no highs.

Now, I've finally figured out how to get the Complys inserted properly (seems to take some experimentation) and I have just a tad less bass with MUCH better highs.

When I open my mouth wide with the Complys (in a yawn position), my ear canals compress the foam and I lose the highs - just like like the triple-flanges sounded 100% of the time. So something was definitely going on with my canals and the flange sleeves.

Anyway, they sound soooooo much better with the Complys! Not sure why I gave up on them before, but they definitely take some work to compress/insert/expand properly in my canals. The triple-flange and gray silicone insertion was almost effortless in comparison, but I'm sure I'll get better at it.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #7 of 10
that's pretty interesting. most of the time comply kills the highs so shows how different all our ears are. well congrats on finding the right tip for you.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:45 AM Post #8 of 10
Glad you found your solution @jkozlow3!

FWIR many couldn't get a good fit with the W3 and give up in the end because of the muddiness like you have experienced.

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 10
The Westone 3 are one of the best IEMs outhere, and you should not compare them to full size headphones.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:33 AM Post #10 of 10
At $300 they should compare to cheaper cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back