Anyone else find Sennheiser cords very, uh...UN-sturdy?
Sep 24, 2001 at 9:33 PM Post #17 of 19
bootman,

22 gauge, stranded silver-plated-copper wires with teflon insulation. 3 of these wires braided together for the main section of the cable (end result of the braid looks just like Daniel Pumphrey's cable that he sent to Jaskin). Then a woven copper tube shielding placed around the braid, and a clear heatshrink insulation around the shielding.

Sep 30, 2001 at 12:30 AM Post #19 of 19
Yes, in fact, I just finished the cable last night after receiving the earpiece connectors, from Voyager, in the afternoon!

I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome, with regards to build quality, except there were maybe 1 or 2 areas in the heatshrink tubing for the main section of the cable that had a hole due to shoddy handling and packaging by the Mouser people. When I received the tubing, it was bent and creased at certain places, causing a hole to crack open. I managed to use a length of the tubing that had as few of these creases as I could find, but some were still there. So when I used my very budget heatshrink tool (a butane torch/lighter from Radio Shack, requiring 3 refills for the whole job), one of the holes expanded and increased in size to about 3mm x 5mm when the tubing shrunk. I plan to eventually patch this hole up with a small section of heatshrink tubing.

Other than that, I'm happy with how the rest of the cable came out. It looks decent, though is pretty stiff and slighlty weighs down the headphone if I don't prop up the hanging part of the wire.

I'm not sure what I should be looking for with differences in sound - I've been playing music I usually listen to through both cables, but I can't find anything obvious. My experience in A/B'ing is usually between components with very obvious differences, such as headphones and amps - never interconnects or cabling.

Can anyone who's heard an apparent difference between their Clou cable and stock Sennheiser cable recommend any specific song or sound sample that will reveal those differences?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back