Anyone else feels their Ipod gets scratched RIDICULOUSLY EASY?
Jan 26, 2007 at 3:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Rick Hunter

100+ Head-Fier
I had a 2nd gen nano and it proved to be quite scratchproof, after 2 months of everyday use it still was in mint conditions (I treat well my stuff)

Now I have a 5.5 gen 80 Gb black Ipod video... I kept the protective plastic film on until it started coming off/curling around the edges/corners badly...
Then I removed it no longer than an hour ago.
I have already managed (god only knows how) to scratch the central button on the clickweel... What kind of plastic is this?
At first I tought the button was only dirty, so I whipped out my eyeglasses rag (very soft and smooth) and tried to clean the button.
Not only I realized that it wasn't dirty, but lightly scratched, but actually the cloth had put even more micro scratches on the button itself and on the plastic surrounding the clickweel.

Ok they're just microscratches, but this makes me worry ALOT about the resistance of this plastic...

(goes to search a sturdy well constructed full ipod case)

Any advice for a case that will protect the ipod well and allow it to be attached to an amp using adhesive velcro?

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:23 PM Post #2 of 26
Yes, I've definately noticed. My 3g is so scratched it looks like brushed steel. Infact, some people intentionally brush it, cause they know it's going to scratch anyway.

Take it back, get a zune, mucho more scratch resistent.
wink.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #4 of 26
www.screenpatronus.com

This product is famous in the Blackberry world (amongst the learned anyway). They are truly invisible screen protectors that are available cut precisely to iPod specs. I refused to even buy my new iPod Video 30GB until my order had arrived. Then the first thing that I did was to install it. It covers everything but the control wheel.

They're super tough. And they're actually a bit like a lens, they improve screen visibility. You have to see the difference between screenpatronus and other protectors to believe it. Sorry to come across as a fanboy but my iPod looks as good as new and I wouldn't use any PAD or PDA without them.

By the way, they don't even list the models that they are available for. Just go to the MP3 players link on their site and type in your make. They cut them for everything.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:13 PM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdimitri /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First, get a skin from www.bestskinever.com
Then you can just get any case you want
But if you're feeling adventurous, try www.xskn.com

In fairness, Bestskins is the other protector that I have heard some good things about although the balance of opinion in the Blackberry world seems to favour screenpatronus because they are so clear and invisible. Best skins are meant to be thicker and very tough.

Oddly your link redirects to Love Those Shoes.

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:28 PM Post #11 of 26
Wow this topic has been done to death. You should have known to get a case when you got your iPod. It's not like this isn't common knowledge

Jan 26, 2007 at 4:44 PM Post #13 of 26
Get a power support crystal film. Doesn't protect the sides of the iPod, but really, unless you have a lot of other stuff in your pocket, that doesn't matter. Power Crystal doesn't affect the appearance at all of the iPod like its competitors(BSE, Invisible Shield, etc). It applies very easily, with out residue or some liquid. If you mess up, get some tape, lift and readjust. If lint gets caught, get some tape and pick up the lint with it and do it again. I can't say the same with any other film I've tried. Finish is still crystal clear and looks stock. Because of the finish, it handles oil and fingerprints better than the actual iPod screen, while still maintaining that high gloss finish. It wipes off, while the iPod screen just moves it around.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 26
having a BSE or IS on my iPods are second nature; you have to know coming in when buying an iPod that scratches are inevitable.

Jan 26, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Digitalbath3737 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow this topic has been done to death. You should have known to get a case when you got your iPod. It's not like this isn't common knowledge

Actually I've had my 2nd Gen Nano since last September and still have 0 scratches on it.

So on the Nano at least they have much improved it's scratch resistance, so much so that I haven't even bothered getting a case for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back