Anyone else enjoy reading and music simultaneously?
Apr 14, 2005 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Mith

100+ Head-Fier
Ever since I've been getting into better sound I've noticed that my experience in reading has gained a better quality to it. What are your favorite authors?

Mine are in no particular order:

George R.R. Martin
Orson Scott Card
Janny Wurts
Greg Bear
David Brin
Raymond E. Feist
Mark Crockett (friend of mine)
David Farland
Robert Silverberg
Isaac Asimov
John Marco
Ben Bova
C.S. Lewis
J.R.R. Tolkien
Clive Cussler

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #2 of 50
I have a tendency to associate what I am reading with the music I am listening to. For instance, when I'm reading a book and listening to a certain song, when I hear that song again I start remembering the book.... doesn't help if it was a sad story associated with a happy song (or the other way around)
rolleyes.gif
. I've always listened to music when I read, even before I found this place.
280smile.gif

Anyway, can't think of too many authors right now....
tongue.gif

Orson Scott Card (http://www.ornery.org/)
Robert Cormier
S.E. Hinton

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:39 AM Post #3 of 50
Don't know why but music tends to make reading much more enjoyable. After reading some George RR Martin books, everything else seem to suck... Gene Wolfe, Carol Berg, Guy Gavriel Kay, and Robin Hobb are some I've read recently that don't suck
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #4 of 50
Well, I always listen to music when I read. It makes me feel that I can enjoy doing two things at once. I can concentrate on the book when I listen to music simultaneously, but I can't watch T.V. while I'm reading...doesn't work for me.

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:34 AM Post #9 of 50
Reading and music go hand in hand for me, but the music must suit the book and vice versa! E.g. Reading a Miss Maple whodunit while listening to Evanescance is a definite no-no!!
rs1smile.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 7:58 AM Post #10 of 50
For some reason I can no longer read and listen to music at the same time. I used to be able to, but not that well... now I just notice my concentration going back and forth between the music and the book, losing track of either the story or the music. Eventually I just mentally tune out one or the other (usually it's the music, which becomes an irritant that I end up turning off).

Replying to posts online is even worse... if there's music playing, it's impossible for me to formulate a single word. It's either turn off the music or forget about replying.

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:02 AM Post #11 of 50
Doesn't work for me. Either I'm going to listen or I'm going to read. Usually, I will end up reading, and the music gets turned off. Don't multi-task all that well. One exception seems to be working on the computer. There I'm quite productive with background music.

BW

Apr 14, 2005 at 9:08 AM Post #12 of 50
I usually browse the web while listening, because that requires no serious thought. Only some light background music goes when I read, and not even that usually. One exeption is the Dune series , I read the last few on the PC and listened to deep foret during it. It had sinergy. some fav authors: Orson Scott Card, Neil Stephenson, Terry Prachett...

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:07 PM Post #13 of 50
most recently, i had a beautiful experience with a copy of the catcher in the rye, some cities by doves and a sixpack of stella artois.

biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 1:19 PM Post #15 of 50
I do most of my reading with music. Doesn`t matter what kind of music.
There is always music around.

While I`m typing this, I`m listening to the Chemical Brothers
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back