Anyone else done upgrading?
Mar 14, 2008 at 7:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

mrdeadfolx

Headphoneus Supremus
Ever since the day I became a head-fier (or actually, long before I guess), I have constantly been searching for ways to upgrade my portable rig to achieve "my" sound. After a few thousand dollars and a lot of trial and error, I think I've finally found it.
My current setup is Apple lossless -> iPod Classic 160gb -> ALO Jumbo Cryo -> RSA Predator -> Shure SE530, and the first time I ever listened though this rig, I got a serious sense of "Eureka!". I never had that feeling before, I always thought the sound sig of my rig could use a little tweaking here and there, but now I truly believe I've found the exact sound signature I intend to stay with, and I really believe I'm though upgrading my portable setup. It's a great feeling to know my wallet will get a break, and my ears will be totally happy. Anyone else find THE rig for them? If so, what does it consist of?

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:38 AM Post #2 of 36
i always have spurts of unrefined unbridled lust for new products but i think i have to start ignoring them. they are wasting my money surely. i just sold my d2 after a year of complaining in portable listening and am 'downgraded' to the ipod nano 3g which i just love.

i no longer use a portable amp with lod and my new phones are the wonderful in fact with the right tips, perfect victor hp-fx500 to which i have come after owning er4s, um2 and spending many sweaty nights with shures e500. they all have some magic but these seem to tackle everything i really want in a package that looks less like a torture mech and sound a bit more natural if less involving.

i downgraded my setup basically by hundreds of dollars after listening to mid-fi for price no object category. there is nothing at all that is telling me i need to get better when i am really enjoying my portable like this. naturally, when i get home, i plug in properly set up mid-fi there too!

Mar 14, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #3 of 36
Guess I've been looking at it differently. I doubt there is a 'perfect match' set of components that (for me) do everything I want. To be honest I sort of hope there isn't. I really love experiencing songs that I've known for years in a slightly different way because of the difference in signature a particular device may bring to my ears. For me the difference between my Senn 650s and Ety ER4s is huge - worlds apart, but they both provide an amazing experience for my ears, both in very different ways, highlighting very different features within the same music. Though very different, I enjoy them both pretty equally.

That said, I have no intention to hoard large quantities of audio gear that I rarely use, I do have some preferences which have led me to the headphones mentioned above, and for the time being am very satisfied with them - but I'm open to adding one here and selling another there...

Still, it sounds like you are very happy with the setup you have reached mrdeadfolx - which is excellent!

Mar 14, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now I truly believe I've found the exact sound signature I intend to stay with, and I really believe I'm though upgrading my portable setup.

Famous last words...
biggrin.gif

Seriously, it must be an awesome rig and I wish you many happy months err... years with it.

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, but start downgrading and you will find a truly great system for mere peanuts.

Yeah, you're likely on to something there, but thankfully I have spent so many dollars needlessly buying gear, I have more than enough stuff to constitute a few of these "mere peanuts" great systems. I guess I shouldnt say needlessly, they are excellent for high risk use. I really dont feel like lugging around an amp, LOD and iPod when Im going for a jog or something.

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 36
After all the Kenwoods and Shures and whatnots I am now content with a Zune 80 and some iGrado's and Atrios.

I will never stop "experimenting", however. I have a D2 showing up today. Just to check it out. I will probably return it but hey, you never know
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #10 of 36
haha, if the d2 did a better job in my opinion for music and the other things it advertised, i think i would have kept it but yeah, i decided to go the route that everyone here hated as somehow, i never really enjoyed dap recommendations from here. well, the meizu m6 was good other than the massive hiss (sp).

the ipod cost me less, has no strange firmware problems, reads my tags perfectly and does gapless.

hopefully the rockbox port to d2 comes soon for you night surfer if you are as picky as i am! cheers and good luck

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #11 of 36
Yea I am all set upgrading right now. Although, my cowon A2 is starting to **** the bed... i'm soon going to be looking for a replacement that is not so buggy.

Mar 14, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #12 of 36
Hopefully!
But I am certainly not 100% sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back