Anyone else dissappointed by Big Whiskey?
Jul 2, 2009 at 1:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
I was so excited about its release, that I actually pre-oredered it. Man, what a let-down. One good song (Shake Me Like A Monkey). And it's mastered like crap.

Jul 2, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 5
It is mastered quite sadly, its all just loud, its still clear and doesnt distort, but gets fatiguing very fast.

But as an album, its not as bad as you say it is. I love Alligator Pie, one of the funnest DMB songs I've heard, I like Squirm as well, and there are a few other songs I don't mind listening to, Shake me Like a monkey is the most fatiguing of the lot, it just gets really loud and annoying towards the end, but its a nice song.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is mastered quite sadly, its all just loud, its still clear and doesnt distort, but gets fatiguing very fast.

But as an album, its not as bad as you say it is. I love Alligator Pie, one of the funnest DMB songs I've heard, I like Squirm as well, and there are a few other songs I don't mind listening to, Shake me Like a monkey is the most fatiguing of the lot, it just gets really loud and annoying towards the end, but its a nice song.

Very true it does get fatuging. That might be the reason I couldn't get into it. Maybe I'll give it another go.

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #4 of 5
I gave the vinyl a solid listen for the first time this evening, and the effects of dynamic compression are quite evident. Its not that the album sounds "bad" its just that it could sound a lot better. There is a lot of potential, in the music, but it just lacks impact. The dynamic compression is most evident when paying attention to the percussion. When SMLAM hits right after GRUX, it just lacks punch. The sound level of the drums is too close to the sound level of the rest of the instruments. When SMLAM kits with a loud drum pop, it loses effect because its not any louder than the rest of the instruments, its not that the drums need to be turned up, its the rest of the intruments need to be toned down so the impact of the drums is greater. The sound level of the instruments in relation to each other just isn't quite right.

When listening for dynamic compression its not really something that you hear, its a lack of impact that you know could be there. I like to sit down with Donald Fagen's The Nightfly or any Steely Dan album to set my standards to what properly mastered music should sound like. BWGGK it a nice album, but the sound quality is definitely lacking. It doesnt sound bad, but it could definitely sound better. The average sound quality wont make me stop listening to it, but as time passes, i tend to reach for the properly mastered albums.

here is a waveform of "why i am" i pulled off another website, very disappointing.
attachment.php

Jul 4, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 5
Musically, it's alright, although not some of my favorite DMB stuff. SQ wise, it's just not that fun to listen too...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back