Anyone else bothered by extremely deep IEMs?
Oct 28, 2006 at 9:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TiTaN

100+ Head-Fier
This is precisely a rehash of the original thread, if you commented in that one feel free to comment in this one, but only if you agree to keep it PG-13. The other one got out of hand and had to be moved out of the public domain.

So the question is, does anyone else not like the feeling of IEMs as deep as they can go? With all the IEMs I've owned, I've had to pull them back out a little to get the best sound. Otherwise, they sound muffled and feels bad.

Edit: As nierika now knows, I meant it when I said to keep it clean. The other thread was closed for a reason
wink.gif

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 10
I also find that the further in I push my E5's, the fuller the sound is. Definitely more bass (maybe too much?). Even when I'm getting a good seal already, it always sounds better if I hold them in farther. Hard to drive that way though.

I like the sound and the isolation but after a few minutes the pressure of the IEMs becomes uncomfortable. Tried PX-100s with my iPod as a fix but they can't match the E5s.

Oct 28, 2006 at 11:21 PM Post #4 of 10
I've never really been bothered by it, as long as they're with foamies. But I have big ear canals, so that may be a factor there. Deeply inserted tri-flanges, though, I could never handle.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 10
^^^ same here. Foamies are great, but triflanges I can't handle.

Oct 29, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 10
I need some advice regarding this.

With the tri-flange tips, my ears seem just a tad too big. I sort of need to push the flanges in pretty hard with my jaw open and then close them to keep them in place. In fact, I apply enough pressure that I worry that the driver housing might some day crack from the treatment. Regardless, whenever I push in, it seems there's just a tiny bit left to go before I can get that perfect sound.

With the foamies, my ears seem a tad too small! I squeeze the open-cell PVCs as hard as I can until they're tiny, and I shove them into my ears. They seem to have some trouble getting in as deep and seem to expand way too quickly. As a result, I'm often left to apply the same amount of worrying pressure to the outsides of the drivers to push the tips in as far as possible. Thankfully, with the foamies, they actually stay in place.

I'm just wondering if there's an easier way, and why tri-flange tips seem so easy for me to insert but hard to perfect and foamies so hard to insert but so easy to perfect. Is it normal to have to push the tips in somewhat hard?

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 10
I am bothered by just normal tube-in-your-ear iem's like the e3's for example. I couldn't close my jaw without feeling them! So I got the e2's, which go in just enough to make a seal, while still allowing me to close my jaw.

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:17 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiTaN
This is precisely a rehash of the original thread, if you commented in that one feel free to comment in this one, but only if you agree to keep it PG-13. The other one got out of hand and had to be moved out of the public domain.

So the question is, does anyone else not like the feeling of IEMs as deep as they can go? With all the IEMs I've owned, I've had to pull them back out a little to get the best sound. Otherwise, they sound muffled and feels bad.

i get the exact same thing, not in far enough and i get a bad seal ..bad bass. In too far and the seal seems almost too tight and all trebel is completely cut off (although i only get that in on ear, one ear seems to get an easy seal where i can bearly pull the IEM out because it's almost sucked in and the other ear i have real trouble getting to seal properly....)

Oct 29, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

With all the IEMs I've owned, I've had to pull them back out a little to get the best sound.

You're not the only one. I've noticed that my ER6s sound muffled when i cram them in too deep. It might just be the shape of my ear canals, but i find that they seal and sound better after I've pulled them out a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back