Anyone else a little dissapointed w/ this yr's coachella lineup..
Feb 5, 2005 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ivandal

100+ Head-Fier
I know I am compared to previous years. I'm actually finding that this years lineup has more draw for me when I look at the undercard as opposed to the headliners. Anyone else going and/or feeling the same way?

coachella.jpg

Feb 5, 2005 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 9
MF Doom, Immortal Technique, Jean Grae and Sage Francis, Nin, New Order, Prodigy. I mean those are the only real standouts for me this year.....and why the hell is coldplay headlining, thats just sad.

Feb 6, 2005 at 2:35 AM Post #3 of 9
Hopefully, Coldplay will miss the left turn at Albuquerque...

Perhaps I was too old by the time the Coachella valley festival became famous to 'get it', but could somebody explain to me what the guiding principle behind the festival is?

It seems like a sort of more mainstreamed "all tomorrow's parties", primarily catering to the trust fund, NPR contributing crowd. All the music seems pretty boring to me.

Feb 6, 2005 at 10:47 AM Post #4 of 9
I doubt many NPR contributers listen to Blood Brothers, Diplo, Aesop Rock, Futureheads, Fiery Furnaces, MF Doom, Bloc Party, MIA, Wolf Eyes, Arcade Fire (ok maybe that one), or even M83. I wouldn't call it boring but yeah Coldplay headlining a group of acts like that is sad but who else has more draw than Radiohead? Coldplay is the only act that (in terms of size not talent) could follow that. I'll only go if I go for free again. Coachella is ridiculously hideous. Smoke, 5 dollar water, HEAT, and more SMOKE. And on top of that more crowded than my workplace. I work at Disneyland.

But some of those groups mentioned above are interesting along with a few more but man...Keane then Coldplay. Everyone's gonna be asleep. So I think it's trying to appeal to just about everybody but kinda focusing on the borderline indie crowd. Where they have heard about the other groups but think Bright Eyes and Weezer are just about as Godly as you can get. Still, there will be some good performances no doubt but personally after going to Coachella last year. I don't know if festivals are my thing. I would've cried if I paid for my ticket last year.

Feb 8, 2005 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 9
That lineup sounds pretty sweet to me. Almost every band I would probably make an effort to see if they were playing Detroit. Therefore going to see them all in one place would be awesome not to mention economical.

Feb 9, 2005 at 10:57 AM Post #9 of 9
Nope. New Order are playing!

Going to see The Killers tonight at The Brixton Academy. Can't wait.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back